New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Widescreen output from a 12" Powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scotdeej

scotdeej is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook 12" G4 1.5GHz 1280MB RAM

Hi folks,

I have a 12" Powerbook that I occasionally like to hook up to my Panasonic Plasma. However I don't get any widescreen resolution choices on the display menu when I connect, I get the black vertical bars either side of the screen (which I prefer to an unnatural stretched picture) - I'm trying to get a proper widescreen output if that's possible from a non widescreen Powerbook.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance

Derek
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

Ibook with external 20" screen?

try that. its for a ibook but might help you out
QUOTE Thanks
mattzilla

mattzilla is on a distinguished road

I dont know if you got your questioned answered, but if you run your power book in clamshell mode, with the lid shut, then you can use the display as widescreen. Just plug in a usb mouse keyboard and the widescreen display to your pb, wait for it to detect, then close it, then wake it up by clicking or using the keyboard. Then you can set the widescreen display.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21600
QUOTE Thanks
CarBern

CarBern is on a distinguished road

Derek,

Curious if your plasma TV has a DVI input at the back? If so, have you try to use a DVI to DVI cable to connect your powerbook to the TV?

I set up my 12" powerbook with my Sony LCD projection TV this way and it works pretty good. The TV did the stretching automatically for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Have to wag lid back and forth to get display to come on | Differences in screen dimming- PPCvIntel »