New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Thinking of buying a macbook but there's a few things I'm unsure of.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

omnicorp

omnicorp is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking of getting a macbook in January after Macworld just in case there's any major updates.
However, I'm unsure of a few things about it.
Will I need 2gb of RAM for it to run smoothly or will 1gb be enough? How easy is it to add RAM to a macbook myself?
My main issue however is will it be able to handle editing with Illustrator CS3 when it comes out? I plan on doing some editing to some drawings of mine with Illustrator, however, when I asked at the shop that sells Macs they said it wouldn't run because it needs a graphics card. Is this true?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
JP13829

JP13829 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 1 GB Ram, 80GB HD, SuperDrive, OS 10.4.8

For your first question, my macbook has 1gb of ram, and it runs really well, and it is pretty easy to add ram to it.

Second, I don't use Illustrator, but I think that if you are only doing simple things, then it will probably be fine.

iBook G3 Clamshell- OS 9.2.2
iMac G3 Slot Loading- Ubuntu Linux

Mac OS X > Windows Vista
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

This link is to another extensive thread on running CS3 on a PowerMac and it's all good news (even better if you own an intel) :

Photoshop CS3 Performance vs. CS2
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP13829 View Post
For your first question, my macbook has 1gb of ram, and it runs really well, and it is pretty easy to add ram to it.
Same here, but I plan on upgrading to 2GB only because I want the system to run more smoothly with Parallels running. If I'm not using Parallels, the system is more than fast enough with 1GB of RAM. I have several programs open right now (about 6 or 7) and several widgets running on Dashboard and I have yet to experience any slowdown. :black:
QUOTE Thanks
JonnyMac

JonnyMac is on a distinguished road

I have 1gb, hopefully upgrade to 2gb after santa brings me some money.

I have iphoto, itunes, preview, safari, firefox, imail, xtorrent, mac msn and skype open and don't notice a slow down.

When i first got the mac, it loaded up in 15-20 seconds. Now it takes about 30-35.

I think it might be because i have twice as much on the hard drive? correct me if im wrong.

Although, it is still very nippy. Programs initially take 0-5 seconds to load (especially word / excel) and after that pop up immediately.
QUOTE Thanks
dametalmilitia

dametalmilitia is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: G4 933 quicksilver (2001) 1.5 gb ram, 300 gig hd. Macbok 2.0 duocore2 1 gb ram 13 inch white 120hd

im rockin out 1 gig of ram and do notice a small slow down but im goin to just live with it. and jonnymac. yes the fact u have more stuff on the hd means its goin to run a lil bit slower. takes a bit longer cause there are more files for the computer to go thru to get to the thing ur accessing. i will eventually move up to 2 gig on my macbook because when i run final cut its goin a lil slow. but either way its faster than anything else i got so im goin to deal till i get some cash.

when it breaks just upgrade it.
QUOTE Thanks
omnicorp

omnicorp is on a distinguished road

so it seems the macbook should be able to handle Illustrator? great!
QUOTE Thanks
zguy95135

zguy95135 is on a distinguished road

I have 1gb of ram and its super fast. Even the old iBook G4 with 256mb of ram was pretty quick.
QUOTE Thanks
sunshine1686

sunshine1686 is on a distinguished road

Maybe it's only my computer, but I have 1 gig of RAM and it's extremely slow and freezes a lot. And all I use my macbook for is typing school work (with Office for mac), MSN chatting and facebook/myspace, so I don't understand why it's so slow!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« took the plunge: my first Mac! | 2gb stick »