New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Verify Disc Error Message on MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

melmation

melmation has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive

Hello. I have just been backing up files off my laptop as I am bringing it home for Christmas, and thought I would clean it up a little. I went to check and repair disk permissions for the Boot disk, then went to verify the disk and get it to repair any problems it was having as it seemed a tad slow for the past 2 months.

Then when I asked it to Verify the disk, after a few minutes, this came up...

Does anyone know what it means, and also how I go about fixing it without spending money on programs? The repair button stays greyed out, so was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks in Advance
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Put the OSX install disk 1 in the drive and boot up with it. Use Disk Utility and choose Repair Disk (you cannot do this from OSX, only when you've booted from the disk first).
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Unlike "Repair Disk Permissions", "Repair Disk" sometime requires you to boot from the Disk to do the neccessary changes. Like karudzo said, boot from the Installation disk and re-run the "Repair Disk".
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

From the screenshot, it says the volume header needs 'minor repairs'. This probably just means that the free space count needs resetting or something equally trivial. The only reason that you need to reboot to the install disk is that if you arbitrarily change the header of the boot disk, it can cause problems down the line with other processes that use and/or cache that information.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Soon to be MBP owner(i hope) | Keyboard unresponsive in Windows »