New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Can't mount external HDD all of a sudden?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac_flyer17

mac_flyer17 is on a distinguished road

Hi, this is something that I've tried to fix and can't get it to work. I have a MacBook Pro and to it is attached an external 2.5" laptop HDD in an enclosure that draws power from the USB 2.0 ports. I have used it like that for about a month with no problems. It worked fine when it was plugged in and I was able to transfer data and everything. Today I plugged it in and it worked fine. I ejected it and forgot that I needed something else from it and when I plugged it in again I got an error saying that, "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

I tried doing the whole disk utility thing and that didn't work. The OS sees the HDD as a HDD and nothing else. I have tried using Drive genius and Tech Tool with no luck. There are no bad sectors and the drive still sounds fine. To make a long story short is there any way I can get this back to working order? I don't want to loose all the stuff that I backed up on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

By the way when I do the repair I get this:

Checking HFS Plus volume.
Invalid node structure
Invalid B-tree node size
Volume check failed

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 volume could not be repaired because of an error
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i'm just going to state the obvious...

have you restarted your mac?

have you tried the disk on another system?
QUOTE Thanks
mac_flyer17

Thanks for your reply! Actually I did for get to mention that. I restarted 3x and also tried it on another system as well as a Win XP machine, to no avail. Any magic advice would be great!
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

when u rebooted, and u plugged it in, did it ask you if you wanted to initialize this ext disk?

this happend to me, and it asked me that, of course i INTed it

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
mac_flyer17

It comes up with a red stop sign icon with an exclamation mark and then says, "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" The options it gives are Initialize, Ignore, and Eject.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You did eject the drive before pulling out the USB cable? Just making sure as I know many who just unplug the cable without unmounting the drive by dragging it to the trash first and a lot of times the drive gets corrupted.

Just being sure.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_flyer17

Yes, I ejected the drive and made sure that the icon disappeared, as I've done before... I'm still racking my noggin... Thanks for the replies.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

did u click on initialize?

if it pops up, u need to

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
mac_flyer17

I clicked on initialize and tried to use the repair feature and that is when I got the error messages. Also in the window on the left there are 2 different icons of the drive that I am trying to get working, the top one has the drive capacity and serial number and then underneath it offset a little to the right is another icon that says "disk 1s2". Does that have anything to do with this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
mac_flyer17

So all is lost I guess? Should I just format it and say good-bye to all the stuff that was on there?
QUOTE Thanks
mac_flyer17

Am I the only one that this has happened to? There has to be a way to fix this... =)
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i guess as a last resort you could do one of the following...

unmount the drive itself from it's enclosure and mount it in another cheapie firewire or usb enclosure.

or

do the same but mount the drive directly into a spare bay on a tower pc or mac.

if it doesn't work after both of these, then i'd assume you've got a fried drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

Try booting from your OSX install CD and see what disk utility says about it there.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_flyer17

I'll try both those options and see what happens. Thanks very much.
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

Beyond what has been recommended as of late. I would say you have a failing drive. And it will need to be replaced. Has it been dropped, or suddenly jostled at all

Have you tried pluging it into a PC?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook to Display | Can I play xbox on my screen? »