New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - 17" Powerbook g4 vs 13" macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Se7en

that's all my budget will allow me to buy right now so which should i get?

:yinyang:
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

I also had this issue.. the only difference was it was a 15" pb rather than a 17". I went with the PB for the simple reason that the 13" was way to small of a screen for me.. if you have any desire to boot xp/vista/windows the obvious answer would be the macbook. its hard to say what is best.. what are the most important things that you want out of your new computer?

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Yes, what do you want to use the computer for?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

My daughters boy friend brought his new Macbook over the other night. I have a 17in.PB
1.50 GHz, blew him out of the water doing everything. The MB killer is the video card, worst than windows dedicated card.
QUOTE Thanks
Se7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Yes, what do you want to use the computer for?
for graphic design mostly, some video
no desire to run any windows apps:black:
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

17" Powerbook definitely then

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

In that case, I would lean towards the PowerBook. Sure the MacBook is the "new technology", but that doesn't mean that the PowerBook is out of the running. It is, IMO, a much better machine by far.

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
In that case, I would lean towards the PowerBook. Sure the MacBook is the "new technology", but that doesn't mean that the PowerBook is out of the running. It is, IMO, a much better machine by far.
I am curious, why do you feel this way?

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodorsean View Post
I am curious, why do you feel this way?
The OP is interested in Graphic Design and Video.
The vast majority of apps for those fields are not yet Universal, and won't be for some time to come yet. The PowerBook is a professional machine, designed to be used for those very same professional level apps needed for those fields... the MacBook is not. The PowerBook also has a higher resolution capability than the MacBook, which is crucial in Graphic Design.
I am in no way saying that the MacBook is a "bad" machine. I am simply saying that it isn't the best tool for the job at hand in this case. Like I said, just because something is the newest and latest technology, it doesn't equate to it automatically being the best option. Apple's Intel machines are still in their infancy and while they have come far in the past year, they still have a long way to go yet. Therefore, it would be more prudent to go with something that is time-tested and proven like the PowerBook in this case.
:black:

QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

"The PowerBook is a professional machine, designed to be used for those very same professional level apps needed for those fields"

Man you are makin me feel bad, I just use mine to surf the www and access my email.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any place i can get Matte screen for the Macbook? | Update available »