New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Numlock, Capslock & Power light issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zebedee

I've searched the forum for this problem & got nothing exactly like it, so I hope I'm not making an *** of myself.

I upgraded to a UK Blackbook in September, pretty soon after they came out in the UK. I absolutely love it & it seems to go at lightspeed after my old G4 ibook.

My only problem was a persistent glitch whereby the numlock & capslock would get reversed (i.e. you had to turn them on to get smallcaps & non-numerical keyboard). In addition, the powerlight stayed on full-beam no matter if the book was on or on standby.

I researched some other forums and was told that a PRAM reset would sort the problem, and it did- until the next time I restarted and the whole shebang started again.

The thing is, it never seemed like enough of an issue to take the thing back to the store and be without for a couple of months.

I've just installed the latest SMC firmware update & things seem to be OK, but then they were after the PRAM reset as well. I guess my question is: was there an element of the update specifically designed to deal with this problem, or is it going to come back; and has anyone else had the same issues?

The firmware seems to have sorted my other niggle, which was the fan was running at a speed about 10mins after startup which would make you think I kept the book in the oven when I wasn't using it. The SMC seems to have sorted this as well.

Am I just paying for not waiting a couple of months for apple to sort out their, ahem, usual little niggles with new hardware, or can I now rest easy after the update?

Sorry for the long post

Z
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My screen is busted, and this is my ONLY computer... | Best Cover/Prevention for dirty wrist spots? »