New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - G3 700 video playback very choppy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ellandry

ellandry will become famous soon enough

Should all video file playback from the HD be choppy and pause on a g3 700 with 640 ram? DVDs play fine but avi's etc play like crap in every player i tried
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

If it still has the original hard drive, that might be the problem. I don't know if you are running several other programs while trying to play videos, but if not, it looks like your computer should be capable of playing a movie.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
ellandry

Well I google searched and see that ALOT of ibook users have the same problem. I wonder if its an issue with ATI video drivers? I downgraded to 10.3.9 and that seemed to help slightly
QUOTE Thanks
giantgreengoat

giantgreengoat is on a distinguished road

I think its the proc. I've looked about and all signs point to that sadly. I've seen ppl with 800s having the same problem.
QUOTE Thanks
ellandry

well are there any updated drivers for the radeon 7500 mobile 32 meg that I should download for the ibook?
QUOTE Thanks
giantgreengoat

I submitted a ticket to ATI in my account; we'll see. I didn't find anything via Google though.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I think it might be the G3 CPU and Video GPU causing most of it. I know my iMac G3 is very choppy with most videos that are out there now a days.
QUOTE Thanks
giantgreengoat

Divx files give me the most grief. I tried re encoding video, but I did it on my win laptop and then the files wouldn't play on the mac. Ugh.
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

in 10.2 i never had any problems on my old Ruby iMac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook G4 Sound problem, should be easy | Please Help! My laptop crashed!... »