New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - please help me install tiger on my fixed mbp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rerks

rerks is on a distinguished road

OK so heres my story:

ive got a 15" macbook pro core duo with 512mb ram and 80gb harddrive with Mac OS X 10.4.7. about 3 weeks ago i got a kernel panic and it did not want boot into normal or safe mode. at normal boot it just hung at the blue login screen and at safe boot it just shut down! i tried everything... reset pram, fsck thingy, repair permissions and nothing!

i decided to do an archive and install and it said "There were errors during the installation...Please try again." I then tried another 3 times and no luck. I then tried an erase and install (lucky i backed up) and it said the same thing! after another 5 erase and installs and zeroing out the harddrive... no luck! so i checked the install logs and found either one or the other of these errors in each erase and install:

- "BomFatalError - cpio read error: bad file format" and "Install Failed: Some files or Essentials may not have been written correctly"
- "BomFileError 2: No Such file or directory - ./usr/bin/ssh-add and "Install Failed: Some files or Essentials may not have been written correctly"

so i rang apple care and he told me to run a hardware test on the install disk. i got a 4MEM/.....(some numbers) error so i sent it to my local mac shop and they serviced it.

when it was ready (2 weeks later!!!!) i picked it up and they said they replaced the logic board. when i got home i did the hardware test again and it came up with the same 4MEM/..... error again! i then tried to install tiger and it gave the same install error again arrrghhhh!!!! WTF!! can someone please help me! i am very frustrated!
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

It seems to me if you brought the computer into your local Apple shop for a problem and that problem still exists when you get it back, the issue is with Apple and their repair shop.

My suggestion is for you to call AppleCare immediately and explain the situation.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Sorry to hear the trouble. As caribiner23 said it is up to repair ppl + AppleCare to take care of the situation. It may be a deffective Mac that you got.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keyboard Question | Screen size »