New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Does Core Duo mean 200% CPU usage?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

I was reading this article . . .

http://www.craigtheguru.com/reports/...e_Analysis.php

And it says . . .

Quote:
The MacBook Pro used 80% of total CPU resources whereas the PowerMac used 110%. (Since these are both dual processor systems, the total CPU resources for these systems tops at 200%, 100% for each processor.)
Am I misunderstanding something or does that mean a Core Duo tops at 200% rather than 100%?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

That is correct. You technically have two processors, they're just on one chip. Therefore each processor can have 100% CPU usage, the chip as a whole can have up to 200%.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

Thanks for the information. When you look at the CPU usage in the system activity is that telling you the percentage of the two cores combined or will that peak at 200%?

How does it work with dual cores - does it always use one core until it reaches 100% then uses the other or does it split the load evenly?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

CPU usage in the CPU window is an average load on a multi Processor system. If you use the Floating CPU window, it will display each processors activity individually.

OSX will split the CPU load between multiple cores. I don't know how it does it, but when I rip a DVD to an MP4 with Handbrake, all 4 processors are under heavy use and my average (displayed in the Menu Bar) runs from 60 - 80%. If I rip a CD to MP3 at the same time it goes to 80-95%.

QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

Thanks - how do I view the floating CPU window?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

ACTIVITY MONITOR > WINDOW > SHOW FLOATING CPU WINDOW > choose how you want to view it. I use the Horizontal vies.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook clicking noise when inserting discs | Macbook Pro and what to expect? (and mighty mouse) »