New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - External monitor management drives me crazy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MattSharp

MattSharp is an unknown at this point

I really dislike the way OS X (and specifically my MacBook) handles an external monitor.

Unless I am missing something, if I want to use JUSt my external monitor, I have to plug in my monitor, close my display (putting my computer to sleep and disconnecting me from the internet), plug-in a USB device (to wake the computer), and then open the MB.

Windows got this right, with a preferences pane that lets you easily disable/enable various displays. Or more importanly, press function+F(some number) to turn off one display or the other.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Umm, if you just want to use your external monitor, you don't need to open the MacBook again. I'm sitting here right now with my MacBook closed on the desk in front of me as I type this.

It's just a different way of doing things: I agree, though, that other notebooks have a way of handling this that doesn't involve losing your wireless connection.
QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

boneheadz will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23 View Post
Umm, if you just want to use your external monitor, you don't need to open the MacBook again. I'm sitting here right now with my MacBook closed on the desk in front of me as I type this.

It's just a different way of doing things: I agree, though, that other notebooks have a way of handling this that doesn't involve losing your wireless connection.
Just figured this out today. Up till now I have plugged in the monitor and left the macbook open. This meant meant the external looked crappy. Shut the lid, hit the keyboard and bang, monitor looks right mac wakes up.

daryl
QUOTE Thanks
MattSharp

MattSharp is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23 View Post

But I would prefer to keep it open to have better airflow.

More importantly, as you said, again it has to go to sleep first.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

The airflow on the MacBook is through the vents on the back near the hinge. These remain clear whether the screen is open or closed.

The iBook vents through the keyboard; the MacBook doesn't.

I run my MacBook in closed mode for hours on end and it never gets unreasonably warm.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrade time? | Memory upgrade problem..Help!!!! »