New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

wardriving

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gotyachts

I am trying to get my Titanium rigged for wardriving. Downloaded the appropriate software to drive an Orinoco Gold PC card, but cannot get it to recognize the card when plugged in. Any suggestions? Anyone know how to get my machine set up for wardriving? Seems to me as though with the 802.11 Apple Airport card installed (which I have), if I could connect a Yagi antenna to the laptop I'd be ready to go. Anyone have suggestions for connecting an antenna to the installed equipment? Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

What is wardriving....It sounds fun and interesting....and like something I've neverheard of....hence me asking...instead of giving suggestions...
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

wardriving is when someone drives around town with a metre device in his car picking up on wi-fi internet connections around town..mostly looking for unprotected networks to leach off of !

nice people ehh
QUOTE Thanks
PC HATER

wow nice can you do that legally, i mean a I doubt that you can get in troublebut can you
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Yep, it's completely legal. Whether it's ethical or not is another story....

I found a neat program called Macstumbler that may help you... can't help with the driver issues tho.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Sounds fun....my house would be a perfect place for wardriving...my firend accross the street can reach our signal....though I think I might be securing it....I just don't know if I really care all that much....
QUOTE Thanks
sugarkane

ahh get krismac and look up the cards that work well with the program!

kris mac will work with a gps mouse to map for ya!!!!

nice wardriving app and it will speek the ssids to ya so you can wardrive like a real geek on your own!!!

you can try out this too

hold down

ctrl, option, apple and 8

great for nite tiime stealth missions

try the kris mac program cause it has it's own drivers!!!

sk
QUOTE Thanks
unl33t

they just updated kismac too.... the unofficial release handles the airport card better than the current stable

updated .dmg
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

I should warn anyone who's new to the wardriving thing.. it may come as quite a shock when your internet no longer works when running KisMAC. This is how the software works... it's nothing unusual. Quitting KisMAC should fix it.

However, a few times quitting kisMAC doesn't seem to help; there might be a better solution, but for me I had to restart to fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
unl33t

the having to restart was fixed in the update that i posted... its newer than the beta from kismac's homepage. i've tried it out on my Tibook successfully and i haven't had to restart since using this release.

as for losing your internet connection, kismac explanes that in their faq. the reason is that kismac loads a seperate driver for passive detection. this driver only works with kismac. kinda sucks, but thats the nature of the beast. besides if your wardriving, you won't be connected to any networks... just sniffing

imho kismac is great for wifi network testing. macsniffer is a little better for wardriving as it allows you to connect to open AP's
QUOTE Thanks
joerod

war driving leagal??????????????????? what about theft of service????? i go war drving w/ my g4 powerbook, no need for external wifi cards mine has it built in for all standards. i recomend getting a prog called macstumbler, great little prog. i live in nyc, i drive around not even manhattan for about 10 minutes and get about 20 wireless networks, most people are stupid and dont password protect their network.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

1) Please use, if not completely proper, at least mature sounding grammar.... and you never need more than 3 question marks in one place.
2) Just because people don't pw protect their network doesn't automatically make them stupid. They may a) not be able to run the drivers provided by the company (linksys doesn't make Mac drivers for the particular AP I have....) or b) intentionally leave it unprotected as an act of good will (which I would do even if i could protect my network.) Reserve the "stupid" word for those that leave their wireless network unprotected *and* share their entire C drive. ;-)
3) KisMAC can see both protected and unprotected networks, and there's even a "crack" menu to find the passwords for protected ones.
4) Theft of service? I'm not quite sure where you were going with that as you kind of went off in a completely different direction... but no legal problems with wardriving. As far as the law is concerned anyone with an access point is *giving* their internet access away.
QUOTE Thanks
joerod

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarManta
1) Please use, if not completely proper, at least mature sounding grammar.... and you never need more than 3 question marks in one place.
2) Just because people don't pw protect their network doesn't automatically make them stupid. They may a) not be able to run the drivers provided by the company (linksys doesn't make Mac drivers for the particular AP I have....) or b) intentionally leave it unprotected as an act of good will (which I would do even if i could protect my network.) Reserve the "stupid" word for those that leave their wireless network unprotected *and* share their entire C drive. ;-)
3) KisMAC can see both protected and unprotected networks, and there's even a "crack" menu to find the passwords for protected ones.
4) Theft of service? I'm not quite sure where you were going with that as you kind of went off in a completely different direction... but no legal problems with wardriving. As far as the law is concerned anyone with an access point is *giving* their internet access away.
??????????????????????/ thats just for starters. yea theft of service, when you steal something that people are paying for... its a crime. what do drivers have to do w/ putting a password on your router. log into router apply password protect. if your giving your bandwidth that you pay for away then yes you are stupid.. hope this is mature enough
QUOTE Thanks
unl33t

not really, they could be someone just willing to share... i know several ppl in my area like that. talked to them personally. they like the idea of helping out others. i think its called a "kind heart"...

but really...
here in the "states", if you don't lock down your signal using WEP, MAC identify, etc. then the authorities assume you are giving your service away, and have no legal grounds to sue, arrest, harass, whatever......
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

So where does the software that a war driver use saying that this person is being " kinda hearted" it doesnt and wont...your intention on "wardriving" is to steal internet access it all boils down to that..nothing more...would you do this just for laughs and giggles...no..of course not...your a theif a heart and that is all. No different than joe brown downloading music or video games.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« battery management | If you own an iBook g4 12'', please reply »