New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrading Ram

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tb2006

tb2006 is on a distinguished road

Well i have the stock C2D macbook, as you know you get 2 x 512 ram. I would like to go up to 2gb of ram, but cannot afford 2 1gb sticks at once at the moment (student)

Would buying 1gb ram stick and using that with 1 x 512 stick be an improvement over the 2x 512. I know its best to match your ram, but will it still work better as they will be 1512 Ram installed.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Yes, it will still work. The speed increase you get from matched pairs is barely noticeable, if at all. You'll see a bigger improvement going to 1.5Gb, rather than keeping your matched pairs.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

yes you will notice a significant increase in "performance." i hear alot that the matching of the sticks is completely overrated, it works just as good without the matched sticks. nothing to worry about
QUOTE Thanks
tb2006

tb2006 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys

So would setting 512 for xp and 1gb for osx be ok for using paralells
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

i am not sure if the ram works like that, i think itll use the ram for whatever OS you are using, if you are going to be using paralells i would suggest getting 2x1GB sticks. i have heard that from quite a few different people around the forum
QUOTE Thanks
steven11

steven11 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95 View Post
Yes, it will still work. The speed increase you get from matched pairs is barely noticeable, if at all. You'll see a bigger improvement going to 1.5Gb, rather than keeping your matched pairs.
So if I go get 2X1 gig sticks it'll barely be noticeable from my 2X512 sticks? That sounds unbelievable. Also I read that if you are using 2 different sticks, say a 512 and a 1g, then the system will not operate at its optimum. The info was from an online store, so they may have been trying to just sell 2 sticks at a time Vs only getting Joe Consumer for one stick :blind: I am new to this awsome OS and machine so I'm interested in getting all the info I can. Also I'm interested in upgrading my 1Gig MB to a 2g but want to know what kinda differences I can expect

By the way is $249 -$65 trade in rebate a good deal?
QUOTE Thanks
blackmacuser

blackmacuser is on a distinguished road

i was at the mac store asking this same question. they told me that the computer could possibly not function right with just one stick.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« should it go back? | Macbook's glossy screen? Pro or Con?? »