New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook's glossy screen? Pro or Con??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jamieemm

Does the mac book come with a glossy screen? If so, then is it annoying or cool? I have a draft of light right onto my computer screen in the morning, will this be extremely glary or will it be OK?
QUOTE Thanks
jamieemm

#1 Does the Mac Book come with a glossy screen for free? If so, is the glossy screen good or bad? I have a draft of light shining right on my computer in the morning, is this going to be a problem with the glossy screen?
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

I'd be curious to hear some opinions on this as well.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

i think the glossy screens are much better in natural lighting than the matte screens. they dont glare at all, or at least i havent found any glaring while using my macbook indoors or outdoors while near direct light.
QUOTE Thanks
Film Prof

Film Prof is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP C2D 2.33GHz - Glossy, Baby.

They are substantially less glossy than their PC counterparts. In fact, when mine first arrived, I thought they'd screwed up and set me a matte. In was only when I pulled up some HD images that I really noticed the difference.

I like the glossy. I think it's a nice middle ground between the matte and the super glossy screens companies like Toshiba have.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

After many years with IBM ThinkPads (in fact, I still use one for work) and about two years with my iBook, all of which have matte screens, I have to say I love the glossy screen on my MacBook.

Colors are more vivid, the blacks are blacker, the whites are whiter. I work in an office with overhead fluorescent lights and I commute by train every day and glare and/or reflection is definitely not a problem for me.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
mobitsfa

I'd get a glossy screen. I seen one at the apple store and got sad because i bought my mbp before glossy screens were introduced.
QUOTE Thanks
jamieemm

thanks cause my friend was like GET A GLOSSY SCREEN ITS SOO COOL! i wasnt sure, yeah that helps i will most definatly get a glossy screen!
QUOTE Thanks
Jamo

Jamo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Film Prof View Post
They are substantially less glossy than their PC counterparts. In fact, when mine first arrived, I thought they'd screwed up and set me a matte. In was only when I pulled up some HD images that I really noticed the difference.

I like the glossy. I think it's a nice middle ground between the matte and the super glossy screens companies like Toshiba have.
I just made the switch to a Macbook Pro last week, and I chose the glossy. My previous laptop was a Toshiba Satellite (with glossy screen). I don't know what you're talking about with the Macbook Pro screens, mine is nearly identical to my Toshiba. Not even CLOSE to matte. There is no way the two could be confused. Are you sure you didn't really get a matte?
QUOTE Thanks
Sp71Supra

Ok my old powerbook g4, they came with the matte finish.. I always hated my friend Toshiba glossy screen... I swore I would never buy one like that. So I tell my one neighbor im getting a new macbook pro, and that they now have the glossy screen option. He said definatly get it... I was a little leary at 1st, then I took a trip to the apple store to compare before I ordered a $2700 laptop... there is no comparason, the glossy KICKS ***.. the other screen is so dull.. the blacks are so dark on the glossy. This glossy screen is not bad at all... I thought they sent me the matte finish as well... get the glossy you will not be dissapointed, take it from someone that hates glossy screens.
QUOTE Thanks
Film Prof

Film Prof is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP C2D 2.33GHz - Glossy, Baby.

I teach college. Today I had my students go to the library to work, and had them bring their laptops. Looking over their shoulders at their work, I could see what the people with glossy screens were doing. Those with matte screens were not visible unless I came in close and put my head between the screen and the overhead florescent lighting.

Something to consider. The matte screens were dispersing the florescent light evenly across the screen, and that made it much, much harder to see.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading Ram | intel core duo »