mobitsfa
    MBP overheating and random restarts.
    Hi,

My mbp 1.83 ghz is getting way hot and shutting down and restarting itself. (also some lag too). I've resetted pmu, ran hardware tests(everything ok), re installed osx. This happens when i'm trying to burn a dvd, compressing a file, or anything lengthy. Last night I was trying to reinstall osx and 2 times it restarted itself in the middle of installing, but I did finally get it to install. After that I downloaded fan control. I boosted the fans all the way up and havn't had a problem since. So, I think the extreme heat is doing something. Should I take it in to the genius bar? What would be replaced, the logic board? I don't mind the heat, but if it's going to be causing problems then I don't like it.

thanks.

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by mobitsfa View Post
    Hi,

My mbp 1.83 ghz is getting way hot and shutting down and restarting itself. (also some lag too). I've resetted pmu, ran hardware tests(everything ok), re installed osx. This happens when i'm trying to burn a dvd, compressing a file, or anything lengthy. Last night I was trying to reinstall osx and 2 times it restarted itself in the middle of installing, but I did finally get it to install. After that I downloaded fan control. I boosted the fans all the way up and havn't had a problem since. So, I think the extreme heat is doing something. Should I take it in to the genius bar? What would be replaced, the logic board? I don't mind the heat, but if it's going to be causing problems then I don't like it.

thanks.
    Could be a slightly detatched heatsink. It should not be behaving like that, I'd remove the fan control utility and take it back. You should not have to install 3rd party software to get a stable machine.

mobitsfa
    Ok,

Thanks

Thread Information