New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbooks and a non-intel video card?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SilverBlade

Will the Macbook series (not Macbook Pro) ever get a better video card then the Intel integrated one?...that's pretty much the only reason why, if I ever get a Mac, I'll always avoid Macbooks because their video cards suck, where the Macbook Pro Video cards, are pretty good.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Your reason is the exact reason why they will probably keep it this way. You want a powerful video card, then go for the pro series. The MacBook is fine for most people

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I would be very surprised if they did get non-integrated video cards. They don't have them now for the same reason they don't have backlit keyboards, a 15" screen and any other feature of the MacBook Pro... they are consumer level machines. These are the big differences that separate the two lines of notebook and likely won't change unless the MacBook Pro gets something "bigger and better" first.:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

The ibooks had non intergrated video, crap but non intergrated just the same.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac View Post
The ibooks had non intergrated video, crap but non intergrated just the same.
Exactly - even my iBook G3 had an ATI R7500, which is probably faster than the Intel G950 in some ways.

I think it's a shame the MacBook doesn't get an ATI or nVidia card... even an FX5200 would have been better. I'd like to play some games, like Civ IV and Sims II, but still have a small machine (13"). Apple doesn't offer this. Also, there should be no reason why the difference in price between an entry level MacBook and one with e decent video card is almost $1000.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The very last iBook with a Radeon 9550 will not play 1080p video without missing so many frames the video is unwatchable. The Macbook and even Mini with the Intel GMA 950 plays it PERFECTALLY. To me that is a lot more important in a lower priced laptop than whether it will play Doom III at max resolution or not. The Intel Graphics in the Macbook is fine for most uses and people. It's a lot better than some think it is. If you want better, as has been said already, get the Macbook Pro.

The only gaming laptops that will play the games I play on my PC are Expensive, Heavy and Hot.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
The very last iBook with a Radeon 9550 will not play 1080p video without missing so many frames the video is unwatchable. The Macbook and even Mini with the Intel GMA 950 plays it PERFECTALLY. To me that is a lot more important in a lower priced laptop than whether it will play Doom III at max resolution or not. The Intel Graphics in the Macbook is fine for most uses and people. It's a lot better than some think it is. If you want better, as has been said already, get the Macbook Pro.

The only gaming laptops that will play the games I play on my PC are Expensive, Heavy and Hot.
The video playback point is a very good one. However the problem is that the GMA 950 has been deliberately crippled by only allowing it to access 64MB of RAM, when technically it can address 224MB. The reason Civ IV crawls is not because of the speed of the chip, but the RAM it can access, defined by the architecture.

I am taking it very personally because I play Civ IV on my MacBook and it's really r-e-a-l-l-y s--l--o--w

Sniff.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to add programs to start when booting? | upgrading G3 ibook (clamshell) »