New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - iSight, Photo Booth problems and MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xtophercaa

xtophercaa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)

Today, I encountered a weird error on my MacBook Pro and my (built-in) iSight camera. I started Photo Booth up and the entire photo frame was green. I shut down Photo Booth, but the tiny green LED for the iSight was still illuminated. I started Yahoo Messenger to see how the webcam would behave, and it was completely dark, and not broadcasting anything.

I closed all my applications, and the iSight LED was still lit. Then I rebooted, and the camera LED was lit green right from the log-in screen.

Then I rebooted, and cleared the PRAM (a handy trick in case stuff goes awry, I've learned). Here's the steps:

1) Turn the computer off and wait a second or two.
2) Turn the computer on and immediately hold down the Command, Option, P and R keys. I actually held them down first, then pushed the power button.
3) You'll hear another startup chord sound. You can release all the key presses after you've heard it twice.

My iSight camera and Photo Booth returned to normal after this.

Just wanted to post pre-emptively in case other folks run into the same issue.
QUOTE Thanks
jparker0201

jparker0201 is on a distinguished road

Yeap....Already had this problem along with many others out of my new C2D MBP.

MBP 15"
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM
120GB Serial ATA Drive
QUOTE Thanks
userofreality

userofreality is on a distinguished road

do you guys think its any better of a chance in just exchanging my new C2D and getting another one...it seems like I am just as likely to encounter some defects or issues, judging by what seems to be reported by about 2/3 to 1/2 of the new owners.
QUOTE Thanks
muirgheal

muirgheal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black

what's the PRAM? I am very computer illiterate and this just happened to me on my macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
muirgheal

muirgheal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black

huh.... I just reopened IPHOTO and it's working fine. wierd.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirgheal View Post
what's the PRAM?
http://kb.iu.edu/data/acfn.html
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Is there a subforum just for problems/solutions on the new C2D's? I haven't had any problems, but I just got mine a couple days ago.

As a new Mac user, I'm very shocked to hear about all these glitches when the main selling point of Mac, and stance of hardcore Apple fans, is that Macs are better than Windows PC's because Windows always has glitches with new rollouts and Mac's are bulletproof from day one!
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

I'm having the same problem with my brand new iMac C2D. iSight is very particular about when it wants to work and not. Generally always works in iChat, but in Yahoo, Ispq, Skype, and even photobooth I sometimes have the green light stay on after I exit - or sometimes I get the weird black or green screen at startup of whatever cam program I want to use. After that happens, forget it. It will continue to work in iChat, but black screens everywhere else. I have success with mine in simply doing a shutdown (complete power-off shutdown not just a restart). Still very annoying and buggy in there somewhere.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe flash?? installing okay for you guys? | Changing Macbook Shell »