New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

XP on iBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OldSchool

A buddy has asked the following

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to install XP on a Mac? Im looking to get a laptop soon and I have fallen in love with the Ibook but I am not happy with the O/S. I spoke to other people and get mixed answers, if anyone can clear this up then I would be grateful.

I'm totally newbie to MAC's. Can anybody help me. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

No you can't XP as the OS
You can install VirtualPC which is an emulator which will run XP but will not run anything that requires a graphics accelerator yet

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool
A buddy has asked the following

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to install XP on a Mac? Im looking to get a laptop soon and I have fallen in love with the Ibook but I am not happy with the O/S. I spoke to other people and get mixed answers, if anyone can clear this up then I would be grateful.

I'm totally newbie to MAC's. Can anybody help me. Thanks in advance.
OS X is one of the major reasons why most people purchace their Macs. If you don't like OS X, you should probably reconsider buying the iBook. For what it's worth, I don't think there is a single person in these forums (including myself) who would choose XP over OS X. Just out of curiostiy, what is it about OS X that you don't like?

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
lzasitko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
OS X is one of the major reasons why most people purchace their Macs. If you don't like OS X, you should probably reconsider buying the iBook. For what it's worth, I don't think there is a single person in these forums (including myself) who would choose XP over OS X. Just out of curiostiy, what is it about OS X that you don't like?
Agree with you, what is so good about XP? I have PC's and one running XP Pro and I think it is one of the worst os's that I have used. I am considering reformating everything and going back to Win 2000. I have no end of memory problems even though I have a gig in it as well as a 2.5gig swap file. XP is a total memory hog and does not release it properly whe you exit a program. I generally have to reboot (if it does not crash first) at least once or twice a day. My iMac is on 24/7 and under OSX have not one problem. My iBook is left on all the time also but in most cases I do shut it down more often then the iMac. Just my 2 cents.......

Larry
QUOTE Thanks
Mojo027

Mojo027 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9

XP is a decent OS. I think it is my favorite Microsoft OS yet. Windows 2000 is good too, but it looks too old and ugly. I've been using XP Pro since November, when I formatted from W2k. No problems yet, everything runs as good as it did on W2k or better. Plus it looks 10 times better.

OSX is way better than XP Pro. Mainly because there is very very few rare viruses and spyware for the OS. It is rock stable and does everything well. Much better than any OS Microsoft has ever put out. Maybe the reason you want XP is for games?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Made The Switch | Can't read Philips burnt DVDr+ disks on my Mac? »