Thread: backlight broke

FedExBoi
    Unhappy backlight broke
    I just got my MacBook 13inch 6 weeks ago and I dropped it (1ft) on it's back bottem left corner. it was in a case and it still got messed up. it looks like all that is wrong is that it's backlight is not working. I can view the screen, but I need a very bright light to see the screen. I've been looking around online for tutorials or help with the same problem. I hope it's something simple, like a loose cable! can anyone give me advise? I have the protection plan and I'm worried that it might cost me some serious cash! I'm a poor college student and don't have money. that's why I bought a protection plan! Please Help :ninja:

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by FedExBoi
    I have the protection plan and I'm worried that it might cost me some serious cash! I'm a poor college student and don't have money. that's why I bought a protection plan! Please Help :ninja:
    Accidental damge isn't covered by APP, so it will cost you to repair it with or without APP.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Hmmm, it sould really be a bit more durable than that, that sounds like it really might just be a loose cable or something... I'd just contact apple and see what they say - perhaps they'll repair it under warranty anyway...

I'm not contradicting Devilboy here, I mean he's right - accidental damage is NOT covered by the apple's warranty - but maybe they'll consider repairing it under applecare anyway.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    Hmmm, it sould really be a bit more durable than that, that sounds like it really might just be a loose cable or something... I'd just contact apple and see what they say - perhaps they'll repair it under warranty anyway...
    I disagree, 1ft is pretty high, I would expect the worse but hope for the best if I dropped my laptop from that high, just incase I would also back up any data while I can as who knows if any damage as been done to the hard drive from the fall, drive sensor or not damage can still be done from a drop from that high.

if you want to try to check connections you can follow the instructions here, http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/home.php

but remember if you damage the anything else that also wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Specs:
    2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext
    my macbook fell off a desk a couple weeks ago (2.5ish feet) and had to reboot, but so far havent had any adverse effects yet
    DEATH TO BIKE THIEVES

My son had the same problem with his. The hight was a little more I think but same symptoms. Cost is $1200 to replace the whole screen. Apple would not just fix the back light. This was for the 17inch Mac Book Pro. The 13" should be much less. Apple may just fixit if there is no visible damage. He had obvious physical damage.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
    no the price is not going to be much less first check the cables as mentioned above. if that does not work go to ebay.com and you can buy a brand new screen for under $100. I have replaced mine due to red lines on the screen. this was simple, but this is what i do at work so read the links below before deciding.

Macbook White
    Parts:
    decide if you want glossy or matte. The first link is glossy, the second is matte. Glossy is cheaper.
    A+ NEW APPLE MACBOOK 13.3" LCD SCREEN LP133WX1-TLA1 /A - eBay (item 200334089490 end time May-20-09 23:03:30 PDT)
    eBayA_W0QQitemZ180334146649QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item29fcc0b459&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1 4&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1% 7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

How To:
    the video is great just don't cut the cable like it says and it would be perfect.
    YouTube - Display replacement (Apple MacBook) 7032
    Replace MacBook Screen - A Tutorial - Apple, Hardware, Repairs, Tutorials - Tweak OSX

Macbook Aluminum

Parts:
    APPLE MACBOOK ALUMINUM LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 13.3" LED - eBay (item 310140547205 end time Jun-05-09 09:38:21 PDT)

How To:
    i can't guarantee this one but this may help.
    13 Inch Unibody Repair Video

Thread Information