New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Merom vs Yonah heat issues for MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skero

I have read that the Merom chips actually run hotter than the current Yonah chips. If this is the case, then the C2D MBP that we are all waiting for will only have more heat issues than the current MBPs. Any thoughts on this??
QUOTE Thanks
SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

Merom fits into the thermal envelope of Yonah henceforth the new Core 2 Duo will NOT run any hotter than the Core Duo does. Anyone that states otherwise is simply lying to you. By the way, who said that??

When you cram all that power into an ultrathin ultralight laptop you're going to get heat. The only way around this is to use clocked down low-voltage mobile chips, which are going to run at 1.0-1.2GHz. In my opinion it's worth the extra heat for the much greater performance of say a 2.0GHz chip.

12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by skero
If this is the case, then the C2D MBP that we are all waiting for will only have more heat issues than the current MBPs. Any thoughts on this??
My thoughts?
People should stop waiting for the "next big thing" and realize that whenever the "next big thing" does finally come, the next "bigger thing" will be just around the corner. And when that "bigger thing" is eminent there will be even more speculation and concern about it compared to its predecessor. The longer people wait, the more technology advances. The more technology advances, the more likely it is for 'issues' to arise.
In other words, if and when the MacBook Pros do get a Core 2 Duo chip then the Core 3 Duo won't be far off... then the Core 4 Duo, then the Core 2 Quad, the Core 8 Dodecahedron... etc. Each new release will have people raising concerns about it.
It is, in my opinion, simply futile to continually wait, worry and speculate about something that has yet to happen.

If you want a new Mac, then there is no time like the present to go out and buy one.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

DB, agreed 1000%.

To the OP, I have heard the Core 2 with it's smaller Die is cooler than the Core.
QUOTE Thanks
skero

Here is the article that prompted me to ask this question:

http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3840

It seems as if the macbook pros have more problems than the macbooks and definitely more than the imacs. Are all the common issues with the MBP due to overheating or are some of them MBP issues which are not necesarily temperature-related? I do not mean to start a "wait for merom" thread but I am concerned about all the problems MBP users are facing and am concerned that if overheating is the cause, then the new processor might make it even worse given the points stated in the aforementioned article.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Read all the comments to that article and especially toward the bottom of the comments. Time will tell.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

i have both a MB and MBP, and my macbook has had lots more problems
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i almost want to buy a MBP just so i know what people are talking about when they complain about heat issues and then tell them to shut up about it all....

i agree with DB about what he said.

my own opinion. yes the new chips may run hotter or whatever but do you think that apple is just going to slap them in and say "Here make an omlet on this one!" or do you think they are going to do some tweaks to either the CPU or the computer itself in order to help control the heat
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« whether or not to keep it | Step by step cloning a HDD »