New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

spots like the powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ravenstor

says it all really, getting white spots like the powebook issue got one the first week and now got another week 4, right side facing.

both spots lower third right side.

return or live with?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

turn off the computer and try massaging the area. I have never had the problem but have heard lots of success stories with massaging

You can't return it until there are 7 spots

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I had one point, the massaging worked for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I thought the massaging was for dead pixels not the white spots...
QUOTE Thanks
PRinMD

OK whats with the massaging, I know you are suppose to love your mac but caressing it? LOL Hey I need a good massage after work :-) OK all kidding aside, just noticed on my ibook a tiny dot on the screen, would that be a dead pixel, hell my mac is only 2 months young, that would not be cool. So this massaging thing could probably help out???
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
I thought the massaging was for dead pixels not the white spots...
I had a stick blue pixel on may screen. Massaging it resolved the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Ok that's what I was thinking, I didnt think the white spots that has been infecting recent powerbooks could be solved by massaging. And yes PRinMD I massage my powerbook.. even though it doesnt have any dead pixels *grin*
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Sorry to pull out the "golden shovel" and dig this thread up, but I have the white spot problem on my 12" iBook which I bought in January '05. Any time I bring up a white screen (e.g., in PhotoShop, Pages) you can see these splotches across the bottom third of the screen, with smaller ones elsewhere on the display.

The Genius at the Apple Store looked at it for about 15 seconds and said "Yeah, this is wrong. We'll send it in for you." Now, the Service Depot says they can't reproduce the problem and they want to send it back to the store as "no problem found." After a few minutes on the phone with the Apple Customer Service rep he took down some more info to add to the service ticket and claims they'll look at it again.

Meanwhile, my aggravation grows.

Does anyone know any more about the white-spot problem as it relates to iBooks, or am I just experiencing a one-off?
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD

So this is a common problem. I thought the spots were due to coffee 'particles' sticking to the screen and diffracted light rays.

btw, massaging helped a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

anyone have a pic of these so called spots?

QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice

If I get the iBook back from Apple as "no problem found" I'll take a photo and post it.

Then I'll bring it to my local Apple Store and show potential customers what Apple calls an "acceptable" display. :-)

The spots look like scuffs on the screen-- as if someone had rubbed very fine sandpaper in a circle in various locations of the screen, making these areas whiter than its surroundings. The difference is they're not scuffs-- they're actually part of the LCD display itself.

btw, thanks, Jack-- I may try that if Apple doesn't fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

Just a quick update: Apple replaced the LCD screen on my iBook as a warranty repair.

So I suppose I won't be posting photos of the white blotches. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
ravenstor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23
Just a quick update: Apple replaced the LCD screen on my iBook as a warranty repair.

So I suppose I won't be posting photos of the white blotches. :-)

dont count on it, i did, but within days they came back...not as bad but as its out of warranty i just live with it, its annoying though as its intrusive on my art work when working in photoshop.

sorry but i do hope it doesnt happen to you.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

I had a conversation with the IT guy from my kids' school district about this. They have a lot of iBooks and Powerbooks and I told him about what happened to mine.

He told me this is a very common problem, and he repairs a lot of these himself (because of the number of Apple products they own and the fact that they have their own technicians on site, the district qualifies as an authorized Apple Repair depot).

From his view, it's a design flaw: there's something about the way the LCD is mounted in the lid of the iBooks and PowerBooks that causes undue stress on the back of the LCD when the unit is opened and closed, which eventually causes the spots to appear on the front.

He said a couple teachers have had it happen so many times they just live with the spots now.

When I told him about Apple's refusal to admit there's a problem, he laughed and said that was par for the course, and one of the reasons they went for repair depot status for themselves.

So I guess all we can do is hope for the best if it happens to us.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

thanks for the info. that is very interesting

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying from Ebay | ibook vs powerbook »