New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook Question Mark?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oldnews

oldnews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz

I dropped my Macbook yesterday, I picked it up off the coffee table and then dropped it back down on it, it was only about 3 inches from the coffee table when it feel though. It locked up, I could only move the mouse I couldn't click anything.

So I restarted it by holding the power button, pushed it again and I heard the chime but then it stopped loading and a folder with a question mark appeared and started to flash.

I am in university so I didn't bring my manual or cds but they are coming now that Im having this problem. But my question is, is there anything I can like keyboard commands or anything to try to get this work? Or is my only hope to reinstall everything and lose everything on my computer. Luckily I also backed up my iphoto last night.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

On any Mac OS X box, you can enter “single-user mode” by holding down command-S at startup. This gives you a root prompt and a read-only hard drive, from which you can commence your life of quiet desperation, er, troubleshooting.
Normally, you would do this to repair the drive

:# fsck -y

This is exactly equivalent to booting off the install CD and repairing your disk using Disk Utility. In Mac OS X, Disk Utility is a graphical frontend on top of fsck. It works just as well in single-user mode because the drive is mounted read-only, so there’s no chance of files being modified while the repair is running.
If fsck tells you that the file system was modified, reboot immediately

:# reboot

Repeat until fsck reports no errors. It is now safe to exit single-user mode and continue booting normally

:# exit

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

Okay I turned on the computer, and had Command-S held down, and it didnt do anything the screen stayed gray and after a little while a the folder with the question mark started flashing.

Is there anything else I can try?
QUOTE Thanks
Crowe

Crowe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" PB G4, 1 GHz, 768 RAM, OS X Tiger 10.5.6

Hey there...
I had the same problem once upon a time and I simply took the battery out and pushed in the airport card. Make sure it's snug. I then restarted the computer and everything booted properly. Give it a shot. It worked for me.

Crowe
QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

Where is the airport card on a Macbook? I probably need a screwdriver, which I dont have haha.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58042

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD Drive no good? | My new computer won't get past the loadup page »