New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Busted display, backlight issue?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bway

Hello

I have a hardware problem that you might be able to help with. My good lady has dropped her 12" iBook for the second, and possibly last, time and has a serious problem with the display. The screen is now extremely dim, but you can just (just) about see the desktop. This quickly fades away to black and can't be revived. I think she might have blown the screen's backlight, which I think is fairly prohibitive to fix here in the UK.

However, after zapping the PRAM, NVRAM and holding down 't' on start-up (to reset the LCD settings?), the screen comes on as normal, only to fade to black after five seconds. So, does this sound like a terminal problem, or does the fact that the screen briefly works fine at full brightness mean the problem can be solved? Maybe a connection issue? Or something else?

Thanks, in advance, for any light you can shed on this matter
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

yea that does sound like either a backlight issue or a lcd psu issue

i know ifixit.com has them for a decent price
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Flash Drive | Hello all and a question? »