New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Largest and Fastest HDD upgrade available?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
apg96

 
Member Since: Sep 10, 2006
Posts: 26
apg96 is on a distinguished road

apg96 is offline
what is the largest and fastest HDD around for the new intel macbook 13"? I would like to get a 160gb 7200rpm drive if one exists. I cant imagine that they have larger than 160 gb for our comps. Also how do i know if im buying the right one? Is it any 2.5 SATA drive work? Is http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/0A28844/ the fastest and largest around right now?
QUOTE Thanks
gblader

 
gblader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 04, 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 71
gblader is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB

gblader is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by apg96
what is the largest and fastest HDD around for the new intel macbook 13"? I would like to get a 160gb 7200rpm drive if one exists. I cant imagine that they have larger than 160 gb for our comps. Also how do i know if im buying the right one? Is it any 2.5 SATA drive work? Is http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/0A28844/ the fastest and largest around right now?
If you upgarde your HDD, don't you have install the Mac OS X again? Do you have to buy the CD, and is it the same as installing a Windows OS? I need more HDD space than 37.5 (60gb after installing the programs)
QUOTE Thanks
apg96

 
Member Since: Sep 10, 2006
Posts: 26
apg96 is on a distinguished road

apg96 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblader
If you upgarde your HDD, don't you have install the Mac OS X again? Do you have to buy the CD, and is it the same as installing a Windows OS? I need more HDD space than 37.5 (60gb after installing the programs)
yes you would. or you can have someone do all that for u.

Intel Macbook 1.83 ghz, 160 GB HDD (upgraded), 2 gb ram (upgraded).
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

 
Member Since: Sep 15, 2006
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 236
Rambaud is on a distinguished road

Rambaud is offline
I use Ghost or Acronis do this type of cloning in Windows.

I have bought DriveGenius to do the same thing for my OS X drive - I hope.
QUOTE Thanks
apg96

 
Member Since: Sep 10, 2006
Posts: 26
apg96 is on a distinguished road

apg96 is offline
http://www.pagecomputers.com/store/P...t%5Fid=1114992

is this the right drive for a macbook?

Intel Macbook 1.83 ghz, 160 GB HDD (upgraded), 2 gb ram (upgraded).
QUOTE Thanks
slyseeker

 
slyseeker's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 15, 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 103
slyseeker has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB

slyseeker is offline
It'll run relatively slowly on the core duo, but you can upgrade your Hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. That's what I used to upgrade my powerbook's hard drive to 120 gb, you won't have to reinstall the OS.

As for the type of hard drive you'd need, a SATA drives work fine.
QUOTE Thanks
ripfrankwhite

 
ripfrankwhite's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2005
Posts: 260
ripfrankwhite will become famous soon enough

ripfrankwhite is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by apg96
http://www.pagecomputers.com/store/P...t%5Fid=1114992

is this the right drive for a macbook?
Yes, it's the right drive. I've ordered from them before.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

 
Member Since: Jan 18, 2006
Posts: 1,868
kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

kaidomac is offline
Largest - 160gb 5400rpm
Fastest - 100gb 7200rpm

If you need storage space, get the 160. If you need speed, get the 100.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
apg96

 
Member Since: Sep 10, 2006
Posts: 26
apg96 is on a distinguished road

apg96 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyseeker
It'll run relatively slowly on the core duo, but you can upgrade your Hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. That's what I used to upgrade my powerbook's hard drive to 120 gb, you won't have to reinstall the OS.

As for the type of hard drive you'd need, a SATA drives work fine.
what will run slow the drive or just the program?

Intel Macbook 1.83 ghz, 160 GB HDD (upgraded), 2 gb ram (upgraded).
QUOTE Thanks
apg96

 
Member Since: Sep 10, 2006
Posts: 26
apg96 is on a distinguished road

apg96 is offline
well, im not too concerned about speed, I would like to have both, but right now the speed of my HDD isnt too bad and i need that space. Im not sure i wanna just get 40 more Gigs and then need to do this again. It just doesnt make sense.

Intel Macbook 1.83 ghz, 160 GB HDD (upgraded), 2 gb ram (upgraded).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Urgent Help! MacBook restart disk!!! | How to make an exact copy of my HDD »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?