New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Airport signal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

onlynismo

my airport signal keeps bouncing up and down. it would go to full strength to nothing...alll sitting in the same spot. i'm using a linksys router but i've never had a problem with this before. but a couple of days ago, i opened up my ibook to replace the display...and i understand that the antanne wire comes out for the display, but i ended up using the same display i was using before. anyone know why i'm having this problem? or how i can fix it? i tried restarting my router, but that didn't work...
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Sounds to me like you may have loosened the antena wire. You might want to have a look and make sure it is secure.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
onlynismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Sounds to me like you may have loosened the antena wire. You might want to have a look and make sure it is secure.
the antenna wire that plugs into the airport is all the way in. do you think it has something to do with the wire itself? like coming out of the display?
QUOTE Thanks
onlynismo

this is weird...when i'm sitting like 5 feet away from my router, it doesn't bounce up and down...
QUOTE Thanks
onlynismo

does anyone have any experience in changing the internal antenna that comes out from the screen? the little part on there is held on to the screen with a double sided tape, does anyone know how to remove that?
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlynismo
does anyone have any experience in changing the internal antenna that comes out from the screen? the little part on there is held on to the screen with a double sided tape, does anyone know how to remove that?

its possible, but its NOT easy to do!!!

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/83.0.0.html

you'd have to take apart quite a few parts.... It might be easier just to use an ethernet cable...

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

It's possible that somebody else is using a wireless network on the same channel as you. If they are, then being very close to your router will have a sufficiently high signal that it will fix on it, but any further away and it'll lose it.

Grab iStumbler and see if this is the case. If it is, pick a different channel and you should be away. The iStumbler dashboard widget is very useful - it graphically shows you the overlapping signals. Quite often I see two or three networks with SSIDs like 'NETGEAR' and 'LINKSYS' trampling all over each other.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook G4 3 key sticky | 12" 867 Speakers shot? Advice PA-LEEEZ »