New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Hard Drive Upgrade... External ? or Internal ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

itsdaydrmer

itsdaydrmer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2GHZ Intel Core Duo, 60GB HD, 2GB DDRAM

So guys, I bought my mac book for officially a week now. yay. but i already filled in about 40 GB of my 60 GB Hard Drive. What would be cheaper? to upgrade the internal hard drive or just get a external hard drive... if you spot any sales can u care to link. thanks appreciate it guys.

btw... i love mac now xD
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

Depends what you're filling it up with. I got an external for all my music, photos, vids etc. However I'm using a desktop so it's not quite the same as you but if you don't need access to everything all of the time then an external is likely to be cheaper. My primary hard drive is only half full.
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

I have a 300gig HD that I store large movie projects and raw video footage on, I also back up my photos and files on it. I have an 80gig HD in my MacBook, which I attempt to keep mostly free for wahtever I encounter when its with me. Get an external to keep at home with stuff you dont need to take with you. You will get much more space for a cheaper price.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Another vote for an external.
Cheaper, easier than installing an internal, and you get lots more storage space.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

I went for a 300Gb Seagate external with USB2 and Firewire for ~ 90.00 + Vat.

I am waiting for the 100Gb internal ones to drop in price - 60Gb are now ~ 30.00.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I'd get an external now, if you use your macbook at your desk most of the time.

The internal drive is easy to install in a macbook as well, but you get less GB per $.
Plus the largest 2,5" drives are currently around 160GB and are really expensive. 120 is more affordable but won't last you that long either.
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

ive got a 250Gig and 80gig externals on my imac. i store most of my big stuff on it though... i did however purchase a 60gig laptop external HD that is powered via USB for my macbook if im working something on the road. it only cost me about 90 bucks and has come in very handy! i would recommend something like that to take with you, and would avoid cramming your macbook's HD with things like music and pictures.
QUOTE Thanks
CarlConti08

CarlConti08 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

i had the exact same problem when i got my macbook. i went with internal and im glad for doing it. 3.5" externals are the only affordable ones and i wouldnt want to lug around an external drive whenever i wanted to take my laptop on vacation or business. heres a link to the sata 2.5" internal notebook drives at newegg.com that are 80gb and larger. i didnt buy mine from there, i got my 120gb at macsales.com b/c it was a western digital drive (idk i figured since they specialize in hard drives it be better). plus, with the new internal drive, i can turn my old 60gb into an external drive thats compact. so my final word is go internal :headphone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM Brand. | battery prob maybe »