New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Macbook Pro help please! Re: Wireless internet problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rise

So up until recently my wireless internet was working like a charm.
Then tonight it just died..
Here's my problem

My airport reads full bars and is stating that I am connected to the internet. I'm connected thru an open network however when I launch my internet browser, it does not find any sites I am looking for. It doesn't read that I am connected to the internet. My itunes store does not work either however when running a diagnostics test, it says I am connected ( as doesmy airports full meter bars).

I'm at a loss and do not know what to do. Its as if my programs and airport aren't synchin up. Any clues on how to fix this problem ?
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

it seems like a problem with your internet connection, and not with your computer. try unplugging both the cable/dsl (whatever you have) modem, and your wireless router, and the plugging them both back in. This will effectively reset your connection, and you should be back in business.
QUOTE Thanks
SurferDude

SurferDude is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz | 1GB RAM | 256MB VRAM | Mac OS X 10.4.7

The bars that you see on the airport icon only tell that you are fully connected to the router or the base station. That doesn't mean that you are onnected to the Internet. You may have a problem with the router and the cable service or ISP. I hope everything will be ok for you. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Rise

Forgive me for being a complete mac retard but I'm new to this world....

This macbook was a gift and came with nothing more then the system & charger.

As far as restarting the router goes? I have no clue what that means. I was online via the free wireless (tmobile hotspot service) at starbucks. I don't know what base stations are nor anything of that sort.

Basically I was online one minute, lucked out the next (while my aiport still read full signal). Do I need to buy the airport base now & is this something that's self fixable or should I take it to a genius...?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

The starbucks internet is a pay for a certain amount of time service. It sounds like your time just ran out.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Rise

No no because I have a monthly subscription. Can't be that..

Even if my time were to run out, I would still be able to access the starbucks/tmobile home page to re-subscribe
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

As was already stated, there is no problem with your computer. If the AirPort card can read a signal then it is working.
If you get a signal and cannot browse, then it is a problem with the service provider.
Things you could do to possibly remedy this:

1. Simply reboot your computer.
2. Turn your AirPort card off in your Network preferences for at least one minute, then turn it back on.
3. Make sure your Network location is set to "Automatic".
4. Contact the support department or helpdesk for whomever is providing the internet signal.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
jches

jches is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, MacBook, iPod

Rise...I'm having the exact same problem. I'm hoping that whoever can answer your issue can help me. I've read D3v1L80Y's responses and have tried this over and over and over myself for the past few weeks, but this rarely works.

Here's my sitch...

Wife's MacBook is fully connected to network, but not the internet.

My MacBook Pro is where I'm e-mailing this from, so I've obviously got a connection to the internet.

Our house-mate has a PC laptop that connects fine as well.

We've taken the MacBook in for service and everything is fine with the computer.

We always make sure in the settings that we're using DHCP.

What's up??
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is my MBP too hot? | MacBookPro equipped w/ a dual layer dvd w »