New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - What's a fair price?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sexy Patrol

Sexy Patrol is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: '09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB

I was talking with my grandma today and she told me that their old Mac Performa died on them so they were going to look into a laptop of some kind. I encouraged her to stick with Mac and she was inclined to do so. Now, a few hours later I was thinking maybe she'd be interest in buying my 12" PowerBook G4 from me, she's pretty well off so maybe she'd like to. I bought it in October of last year so it's not old and it's been well taken care of. Plus for the kinds of things they usually do with a computer (ie e-mail, word processing... that's it) the PB would be more than enough for them. I've been wanting to get my hands on a MacBook since they released them but haven't had any way to do so since I've been out of a job so maybe selling the PB could give me substantial capital to start with. However, I don't want to rip her off... so what do you guys think is a good price that would be fair for both sides? I was thinking in the neighborhood of 700, considering I paid 1500 and it's in mint condition. Heck that's less than half of the new price. But I don't know, I appreciate the input. Thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
SurferDude

SurferDude is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz | 1GB RAM | 256MB VRAM | Mac OS X 10.4.7

Without Applecare? I would say that's a fairly decent price. However, since it's your grandma you might wanna ask for more hahahah. Go for it!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Seems like a decent price to me.

Personally, I would feel guilty selling it to my Grandma. :biohazard

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

That price is about right. I've been eyeing them on eBay and that's about what they're selling for.

12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Just make sure she's comfortable with the screen size though...

If they were using a performa they probably had a larger monitor with a similar resolution as your powerbook. The smaller screen might be difficult for them to see properly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« random shut downs??? wtf??? | Getting First APPLE »