New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - What's up with all the macbook complaints?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

I have been reading these forums for the last week or so. My ibook is pooping out, and I am thinking of going for a macbook. After reading these forums, I have pretty much seen nothing but problems with the new macbooks. Does anyone have any good things to say about the macbook? Should I go for one, or wait a bit for apple to work the bugs out? Are these things problem prone, or is it worth investing in one?
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I know a few people with macbooks and so far, they havent had any problems. My sister has a 15" macbook pro and I have the 17" and neither one of us has had any problems. I think macbooks are good computers, they have a lot to offer and I think they are a good choice for somebody that doesnt need something like the macbook pro. If you want one and need a new computer, go for the macbook, just go to the apple store and mess with one to see how you like it.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster
I have been reading these forums for the last week or so. My ibook is pooping out, and I am thinking of going for a macbook. After reading these forums, I have pretty much seen nothing but problems with the new macbooks. Does anyone have any good things to say about the macbook? Should I go for one, or wait a bit for apple to work the bugs out? Are these things problem prone, or is it worth investing in one?

They are first generation Intel's for one so it is expected but also since this is a forum, many people come looking for answers to problems or perceived problems. This is the majority here in Mac-Forums but as a whole, the people here with complaints are a minority when you look at customer satisfaction as a complete group.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

The majority of people who purchase a product and don't have issues don't post on message boards about their success...but whenever people have problems they vent their issues online in this day and age

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

people, in general, dont go and run around posting about how great things are and how they work perfectly. they post about every quirk they could possibly find
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

I understand that this is mainly a complaint board, I am just a little apprehensive about getting a new macbook after all the problems with my ibook. I am seriously considering getting a new dell, I just hate to leave the apple family. While there are many features I love about my mac, I have had quite a few problems. Crashing iphoto, crashing safari, bad plug, and super expensive replacement parts, such as $90 for a new a/c adapter. I just hate to get the new macbook and sit and struggle with the same troubles.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
I have been reading these forums for the last week or so. My ibook is pooping out, and I am thinking of going for a macbook.Should I go for one, or wait a bit for apple to work the bugs out?
If you've got your eyes on a MacBook then go for it. There will always bugs which need working out, not just with any one mac

Quote:
Are these things problem prone, or is it worth investing in one?
It is worth the investment and there is no documented proof that they're problem prone. :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

OK, well i think I am going to give apple one more try. I am going to ut my old ibook on ebay, but before I do, what is the best way to transfer files to the macbook and erase my old ibook? I heard something about connecting the firewire ports on both, but how do I do that? Also will simply re-installing the os erase the ibook?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
The majority of people who purchase a product and don't have issues don't post on message boards about their success...but whenever people have problems they vent their issues online in this day and age
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
people, in general, dont go and run around posting about how great things are and how they work perfectly. they post about every quirk they could possibly find
-chris
Exactly.
Statistically, when someone has a good experience with a product or service, they will tell approximately 4-5 close relatives or friends.

When something goes wrong with a product or service, a person is more apt to tell as many people as they can no matter what their relationship is to that person.

So, because people are more prone to voice a complaint than an accolade, you don't hear as many success stories.

Think about it... when was the last time you heard about a person who wrote a letter to the trash collector to tell them what a great job they are doing. Weeks and weeks would go by and no such letter would surface. Now imagine if the trash wasn't collected one week... there would be an uprising about what a lousy job the trash collectors are doing.

Or what if a televison manufacturer sold a certain model that had a beautiful picture and great sound... nobody would write emails or post again and again on a forum about how great it is. The minute that model showed any sign of a slight defect, the populous would start a petition or some class-action suit against the company and demand refunds or other "compensation".

The same holds true for the Macbook. Buyers are going to complain about problems as much as they can. Satisfied people are going to be satisfied and quiet.
What needs to be realized is that overall, there are many more satisfied customers, they just don't voice opinion as much. You only hear and notice the "horror stories"... the "squeaky wheel" syndrome. :black:
Western society as a whole takes things for granted and ignores the positives... yet when any sort of negative arises, they protest en masse about it for as long as they can.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Roo

Roo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
OK, well i think I am going to give apple one more try. I am going to ut my old ibook on ebay, but before I do, what is the best way to transfer files to the macbook and erase my old ibook? I heard something about connecting the firewire ports on both, but how do I do that? Also will simply re-installing the os erase the ibook?
Wait until you get the Macbook. Get a firewire plug from the Apple store. When you first turn on your Macbook, it will ask you if you'd like to migrate from an old Mac to the new one. You plug the iBook into the Macbook, and just transfer.

Simple as that.

When you reinstall the OS, I'm pretty sure it gives you options as to how you'd like to do it, with erase and install (perhaps not that terminology) being one of them.

QUOTE Thanks
captclose

captclose will become famous soon enough

I just got my MacBook and I love it! no problems at all. I even installed Parallels with Win XP and I am amazed. It runs Windwows faster than my 2 year old Sony Vaio. I couldn't be happier.
QUOTE Thanks
DeNNNiTh

DeNNNiTh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook - White, 2.0Ghz, 1GB Ram, week 35

Quote:
I have not had any issues with my MB which I've owned for about a month now. Mine has been wonderful.

QUOTE Thanks
devast8or

devast8or is on a distinguished road

to be honest i havnt had one problem with my mac book. great screen, runs pretty fast, easy to use of course, the heat issuse was a problem for me but since the updates came out everything has been awsome, i would say if you can pony up the extra 700 dollars get the macbook pro those are awsome but the macbooks work just as well, i think for most people its more like freak out issues cause they pay alot of money and they dont want to feel like they wasted there money but i think its a great purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I'd say go for the macbook. My first one suffered the now famous Random Shut Down issue, and after a couple of failed repairs Apple replaced it with a week 36 machine with all the issues worked out. I couldn't be happier with it (well, maybe if it had an extra gig of RAM or so ...) ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

Great, Nice to see some happy users. Makes me feel a little better about dumping a nice chunk of money down on a computer. I think I am gonna go for it. Hopefully recover a little bit of the cost when i sell my ibook on ebay. Anyone know how to wipe clean a hard-drive on a g4 ibook? Also whats the best way to transfer personal files from an ibook to a macbook?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen issue | System cleaning and Parallels partition »