Thread: Intel Core2 Duo

Intel Core2 Duo

Intel Core2 Duo
    Okay question for all of you here do you believe that within the say next 6 months that apple will start putting the Intel Core2 Duo in there machines and will they be back at square one with heat issues and malfunctions(granted that lots of laptops and pcs have malfunctions) but this is just for mac or will they even bother to put them in the machines untill they have got most of the bugs out of the originals? just a question to change the subject on broken macbooks :p

Intel Core2 Duo
    Specs:
    24" iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by devast8or
    Okay question for all of you here do you believe that within the say next 6 months that apple will start putting the Intel Core2 Duo in there machines and will they be back at square one with heat issues and malfunctions(granted that lots of laptops and pcs have malfunctions) but this is just for mac or will they even bother to put them in the machines untill they have got most of the bugs out of the originals? just a question to change the subject on broken macbooks :p
    They shouldn't be back at square one since the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo both use the same socket (Socket 479).

Intel Core2 Duo
    That was a mean run-on sentence. Punctuation would help a lot. I mean, it's not term paper or anything, but some kind of readability is always nice.

Intel Core2 Duo
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
    how easy will it be to upgrade our current macbooks to the new core 2 duo?

Intel Core2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by rift0065
    how easy will it be to upgrade our current macbooks to the new core 2 duo?
    I believe they are soldered onto the logic board, unfortunately.

Intel Core2 Duo
    Specs:
    Macbook 2.0GHZ coreduo 1G RAM
    so that means there is no way for us to upgrade our macbooks to the new processor?

Intel Core2 Duo

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    if they are soldered on (I haven't looked inside of mine, but it most likely is) then you can't upgrade it
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Intel Core2 Duo
    Specs:
    stock blackbook 10.4.8
    maybe apple will upgrade the processor for a fee?

Intel Core2 Duo

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    They have never offered that service and I highly doubt they would start
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Intel Core2 Duo
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
    That's really unfortunate.. has apple always done this? I mean soldered their chips to the logic board. So basically you would need to replace the board as well along with the chip.. how frustrating..

CWMac
    Most laptops are the same tbh.Its not unusual to find mobile cpus soldered in place.

Intel Core2 Duo
    Specs:
    24" iMac
    Generally people buy laptops with the understanding that upgrades are severely limited. The optical drive, hard drive and RAM seem to be all that a user can change on most.

Intel Core2 Duo

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffstgermaine
    Generally people buy laptops with the understanding that upgrades are severely limited. The optical drive, hard drive and RAM seem to be all that a user can change on most.
    Yup, and with the MacBook you're even more limited - only hard drive and ram right now. The MacBook uses a new, smaller DVD drive format that no one sells yet, and they're only available in 4x for DVD burning. Hopefully someone releases an 8x model soon!
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

Intel Core2 Duo

Specs:
    Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
    I'm not sure why Apple is waiting to put the Core 2 Duo in their laptops, but it could be that they want to sell off the Core Duo laptops first. It could also be that they designed their logic board by mistake to be incompatible with Core 2 Duo chips, even though they are pin-compatible.

And yes, the CPU is soldered onto the logic board so in order to upgrade the CPU you have to replace the entire logic board. Back in the Pentium II/III days it was the norm to solder the CPU on the laptop motherboard, but today it's very rare that they do that unless they are building ultraportables in the case of the MacBook/MacBook Pro. Having the CPU soldered on means you can make the laptop thinner, but it also means you have trouble replacing parts and parts inventory can be a pain.

Apple offering CPU upgrades wouldn't make sense. But, I'm still urgently awaiting the Core 2 MacBooks...

Also, heat and "problems" won't be any worse than the Core Duo MacBook because Core 2 Duo is designed to operate in the thermal envelop of Core Duo, henceforth Core 2 doesn't consume any more power or make any more heat than Core. Basically the Core 2 is a little more powerful processor, but still works within Core architecture and Core bus speeds. When Intel releases the next version of their Core 2 Duo, it will have a new socket, new chipsets, and a faster frontside bus. This chip may well be what Apple is waiting on to upgrade the MacBook, but don't expect it until well into 2007.
    12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
    PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
    Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10

Intel Core2 Duo
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    Also I think you can expect it in the macbook pro well before you can expect it in the macbook. It has always been apples way to upgrade the pro model before the upgrade the consumer model. The ibook and the powerbook were always very different, and normally no where near as close as the macbook and the macbook pro. Apple might use the core 2 to help make the gap a bigger one so that people who want the core 2 buy the macbook pro.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Thread Information