New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Glossy Display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Adam

Adam will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4

What is the real difference?

Quote:
Choose the glossy widescreen display to make your graphics, photos, and videos appear with richer color and deeper blacks great for watching DVD movies. If you prefer a display with anti-glare coating for a matte rather than glossy viewing experience, choose the standard widescreen display.
I will mainly be using it for web development and design. Will be ordering my mbp soon and don't know which type of display to go for!

Thanks

Ad
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I have the Glossy and love it... its just like.. shiny.. if your going to be using this out doors or in bright areas, it might be bess just to get the anti-glare matte display

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

If you are doing any type of design, I highly suggest going with the matte display. When you are doing design you have to rely on what the screen shows, and the matte display would be the best for that.
QUOTE Thanks
Adam

Adam will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4

Yeh reckon I will got with Matte - just wanted to check out that I wouldn't be missing out on anything
QUOTE Thanks
SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

It really depends on where and what you're using it for. I have the glossy screen on one of my Compaq laptops and I love and hate it. When you're inside, it's extremely bright and the colors are amazing, but when you're outside you can't see to save your life. I like being outside a lot at school, so I kick myself for going with the glossy Brightview screen. It's great if you like to watch a lot of movies or look at a lot of images/photo design, but it's terrible for outside/car use.

You also have to keep in mind that as PunkRockTuba mentioned above, if you're designing a lot of graphics and stuff those pretty colors aren't going to look the same way to everyone that views them. I know in my office (I'm an IT) the people that work with our marketing stuff hated upgrading to LCDs because what they saw on their LCD screen was totally different once they saw it on a CRT. Getting a glossy LCD screen will only make this issue even worse.

12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

glossy is just prettier to me....but the above comments about your design work are very true. The colors just "pop" more on the glossy...which may or may not be a good thing in your case.
QUOTE Thanks
tjacob

tjacob is on a distinguished road

So if you go outside with a matte display will you see it?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob
So if you go outside with a matte display will you see it?
I just read the thread and it seems if you want to use the MBP outside then the matte is best.
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

But even with a Matte display, it is still very difficult to read the screen in direct sunlight.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
What is the real difference?

I will mainly be using it for web development and design. Will be ordering my mbp soon and don't know which type of display to go for!

Thanks

Ad
I'd really recommend trying to view the different screens in person as well to see which you prefer.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
rukind2

rukind2 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" Air, 2 Ghz Intel Core i7, 500 SSD, 8G Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
I'd really recommend trying to view the different screens in person as well to see which you prefer.
The glossy screen yields a beautiful picture provided there are no bright lights in the vicinity. It's virtually impossible to hide light fixture reflection. Most use their laptop with the screen tilted away from them by as much as 45 degrees. The screen will reflect any shiny onject or light source. You may see yourself reflected back as well!
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

I would go with traditional matte lcd. Yes, glossy is renders amzing colors but you sacrifice flexibility as far a locations and settings you can use it comfortably. I love matte, they better never make glossy the standard or I will not be happy.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

i dont have much trouble reading my glossy outdoors....
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

Is there something that you can put on the screen that can prevent glare?

I remember seeing recently an advertisement for a little cover that you just stick to your screen so the person next to you can't see what you are doing on your computer (ie Airplane). It looked like it just stayed on with static electricity but I am not positive.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

i have seen that as well....it does make sense that it would cut down on glare....does anyone have this?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery died.. | Does an external SATA drive work on my Pbook? »