New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - dead harddrive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

messystain

messystain is on a distinguished road

After 2 beautiful years with my 12" macbook, my hardware test shows that my harddrive has crashed.

I'm wondering if I can get an external harddrive, and run my mac through it instead?

Or if anybody has any other suggestions before my husband tries to take it apart to replace the harddrive or I part it out on ebay?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Missy
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

2 years with a macbook? Do you mean iBook?
QUOTE Thanks
messystain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixslinger
2 years with a macbook? Do you mean iBook?
sorry, neither...I have a powerbook. (was using a macbook on lack of sleep while typing post)
QUOTE Thanks
SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

If you're interested in selling it, please let me know because I have been looking for a good deal on a 12" PowerBook. Send me a PM about how much you think you would want for it and some of the spec's if you know them.

12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

replacing the hard drive is really no big deal....just take it apart and plug in the new one. that would be my suggestion.
QUOTE Thanks
olias

olias is on a distinguished road

I did mine from here ---> http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ and it was easy. Make sure you use a drive with similar specs. Mine was a 60GB 5400rpm IDE Toshiba (MK6026GAX). I bought a 80GB Toshiba MK8026GAX.
QUOTE Thanks
red milk

red milk is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB

that happened to me too >_>
got a new one
it cost me quiet a bit
but it fixed things dandy
QUOTE Thanks
messystain

Quote:
Originally Posted by olias
I did mine from here ---> http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ and it was easy. Make sure you use a drive with similar specs. Mine was a 60GB 5400rpm IDE Toshiba (MK6026GAX). I bought a 80GB Toshiba MK8026GAX.
I actually did buy a new one yesterday-replaced my 40 gig w/another 40 gig for $50.00(w/$20 rebate). It only took about 3 hours with the amazing instructions on ifixit.com, and that time was mostly taking out all of the screws.
I had dropped my computer about 6 months ago, and the airport stopped working. Apparently that was when I damaged my harddrive, because not only is my computer running, but my airport is now working again.

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
dm95eg

Quote:
Originally Posted by messystain
I actually did buy a new one yesterday-replaced my 40 gig w/another 40 gig for $50.00(w/$20 rebate). It only took about 3 hours with the amazing instructions on ifixit.com, and that time was mostly taking out all of the screws.
I had dropped my computer about 6 months ago, and the airport stopped working. Apparently that was when I damaged my harddrive, because not only is my computer running, but my airport is now working again.

Thanks for your help!
Where can i buy a new hardrive? Maybe thats the problem with mine.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

dm95eg - my guess is that your hard drive is fine...you just need a fresh install of OSX. Even if you bought a new hard drive, you would still need a fresh install.....
QUOTE Thanks
messystain

I bought mine at Comp USA. I just had to look for ata-100 notebook hard drives. After looking around, they had some of the best prices (since it had the rebate).
At the store, I was told that they would actually do the install for only $30.00- said it's a flat rate to install any hard drives, but I would double check. I felt more comfortable installing my own-I love my computer more than they do.
If or when you install it, you will need to start up your computer with the disc, go to disc utility and erase the hard drive. It looked like this also formatted it. Then you can reload your os.
As for my broken airport, the hardware test would read it as ok, but my internet connections wouldn't even read that I had an airport. If you're looking to boost up your hd anyway, it would be worth it.
My alternative when my airport was broken was a Belkin wireless g for $40.00. It's a little bigger than a jump drive, and I had to run a quick search for OSX drivers, but it worked perfectly when my airport wasn't working at all.
Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook wont wake up | MacBook Pro not sleeping when shut »