New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Installing Programs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shaverjeff

Greetings,
I just purchased my first mac and I am having some issues.
I cant install any programs. Maybe i am not doing it correctly. I have downloaded the .dmg file but when i double click them for the install they open up n internet explorer as a bunch of jumbled text. then i have to restart/reboot.

What am i doing wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Sounds like your association has been messed up. Single click the dmg file, then hold down the apple key and press the I key. In the info box that comes up, look down where it says "opens with" and set it to "DiskImageMounter.app" also click the button that says open all applications like this. Now when you double click it it should open up in a folder (like pkzip ir winzip on a pc). Then you just open another finder window and drag the "app" file to your applications folder to install/ A few programs may have a installer.app that you can just double click and it will install automatically, but the majority of apple apps just install by dropping them into the applications folder.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Brightness Meter | Please help! How do I re-format an external HD? »