New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - AppleCare?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sunshine1686

sunshine1686 is on a distinguished road

If there is no Apple store near me then how do I get the help I need? If something goes wrong with my computer do I have to ship it out and have to wait weeks for it to get repaired?
Is it even worth buying the AppleCare?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Depends on how paranoid you are, so if it makes you feel better then buy it. I personally never buy extended warranties just because electronics usually have problems in the first year, which 1yr warranties are usually standard with most electronics. The money you save over your lifetime from avoiding these things adds up.

I have Apple Store like an hour and a half away from me. I would rather ship it than drive though because it is free to ship it and they ship it back free. Now in most cases you will get it back within a week but in some cases it can take longer depending on the problem or part. I think if you take it to an Apple Store, depending on the problem they ship it off anyways.

As far as Applecare question I say no, it's not worth it. Of course you will get people here who swear by it and will tell you it is worth it. Either way, hope you are happy with whatever decision you do make.
QUOTE Thanks
sunshine1686

Thanks so much for answering my question!
I'm planning on ordering my MacBook from the apple website, and say in 3 months from now I decide I want to buy the Apple Care plan, can I still do it?
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Yes you can purchase it within the first 12 months.
QUOTE Thanks
sunshine1686

You're great! Thanks for answering my questions so quickly!

If you don't mind, I have one more question! lol

Do you think it would be wise to upgrade the MacBook from 512 MB to 1GB right away from the Apple website? Or is the 512MB enough? I'm only planning on using my computer for school, and personal photos and my music collection (which isn't very big)

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

512 should do you just fine!

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

No you are fine with the stock 512. I suggest not buying ram from apple because it tends to be a little overpriced. If you one day want to upgrade ram then buy 3rd party and install it yourself or get somebody you know to do it. It isn't hard and instructions are in the manual that comes with computer. I have bought ram from Archmemory.com, some people like Crucial. Lots of places though to buy it.
QUOTE Thanks
rgkgraphix

rgkgraphix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro, Dual Proc 2.6GHz

I would recommend the Applecare for the laptops and iPods.

and agree with the others about installing extra ram yourself.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz XEON's | 1GB FB-Dimm | Seagate 250GB System | Maxtor 80GB Window's Boot Drive | Seagate 320GB | Bluetooth | Airport Xtreme

Intel DP965LT | Intel E6400 Core 2 Duo | 2x512 A-Data Vitesta DDR2-667 | XFX 7600GT | Seagate 7200.9 160gb, SATAII System Drive |
(2) Hitachi 7K250 160gb SATA | WD 250gb SE16 SATAII | 2 Pioneer DVR-109 |CoolMax 500w PSU.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Just to note before I leave work...I have had my laptop for two years and no problems at all. I carry it almost everyday. I practically beg it to kill over with all the apps I run but it still kicks. One more year and the Applecare would have been a waste. Still a waste since it is usually 25% to 33% of cost anyways. I would just buy me a new one then. So that's it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Minor emergency - system restore? | Won't read HD »