New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Internet not working?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jonster

I don't know if this is a mac problem, but I just figured it is. You'll see why. I got back from Texas and now I'm home in Connecticut. While I was in Texas, I used the wireless internet that my family had through the AirPort. When I got home, I was able to connect to my wireless internet for a couple days, but I woke up one moring and it won't connect to the internet. It says I have full signal, but I can't even get google to load. I have two PCs and a HP laptop in my house, all of which have and can connect to the internet still (I'm on one right now). Do you know why my Powerbook won't connect to the internet? Do you think I messed something up during travel? I don't know if this is an internet problem, or an AirPort problem. Please, if you could, shed some light on my situation. Thanks.
neye:
QUOTE Thanks
ggreer58

ggreer58 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz

I have a very similar problem which I was also seeking the answer to...

Guess it is not too uncommon
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster
I don't know if this is a mac problem, but I just figured it is. You'll see why. I got back from Texas and now I'm home in Connecticut. While I was in Texas, I used the wireless internet that my family had through the AirPort. When I got home, I was able to connect to my wireless internet for a couple days, but I woke up one moring and it won't connect to the internet. It says I have full signal, but I can't even get google to load. I have two PCs and a HP laptop in my house, all of which have and can connect to the internet still (I'm on one right now). Do you know why my Powerbook won't connect to the internet? Do you think I messed something up during travel? I don't know if this is an internet problem, or an AirPort problem. Please, if you could, shed some light on my situation. Thanks.
neye:
1. Make sure you're connected to your wireless AP, and not your next door neighbors or something.

2. Open Network Utility, under the Info tab, make sure your wireless device is selected. Make sure it has an IP address that doesn't start with 169.

3. In Network Utility, ping the router's address (usually either 10.0.1.1 or 192.168.1.1). If you get a response, then your wireless is working fine.

4. Ping the address 64.233.167.99 (Google's IP). If this works, then you have a DNS issue.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
ggreer58

ggreer58 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
1. Make sure you're connected to your wireless AP, and not your next door neighbors or something.

2. Open Network Utility, under the Info tab, make sure your wireless device is selected. Make sure it has an IP address that doesn't start with 169.

3. In Network Utility, ping the router's address (usually either 10.0.1.1 or 192.168.1.1). If you get a response, then your wireless is working fine.

4. Ping the address 64.233.167.99 (Google's IP). If this works, then you have a DNS issue.
Osiris,

Does this troubleshooting method only work for AirPort networks? I have no problem connecting to my AirPort at home, but when I am on campus (UT-Austin) my wireless hardly ever works. I am not too sure about the details of my campus network but I was hoping you might have some insight.

It always displays a full signal, says I am connected, but it just won't load any pages most of the time (sometimes it works). Other computers around me are always running wireless fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonster

How would I ping an address? Just type it into my web browser? If so, I've typed both of the IPs and they both timed out. My wireless must be working fine because I'm using it right now.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster
How would I ping an address? Just type it into my web browser? If so, I've typed both of the IPs and they both timed out. My wireless must be working fine because I'm using it right now.
Open up the terminal and type this: ping -c4 google.com

Substitute the google.com to whatever you want to ping.

--lifeafter2am

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Jonster

Okay, I did that and got response from both. Now how can I go about fixing my DNS issue?
QUOTE Thanks
Jonster

BUMP! Can anybody help me? It's still not working.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« first post: what would be the best practices for take care of battery of my macBook? | Need Cardbus port »