Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Jonster
    Guest
    Internet not working?
    I don't know if this is a mac problem, but I just figured it is. You'll see why. I got back from Texas and now I'm home in Connecticut. While I was in Texas, I used the wireless internet that my family had through the AirPort. When I got home, I was able to connect to my wireless internet for a couple days, but I woke up one moring and it won't connect to the internet. It says I have full signal, but I can't even get google to load. I have two PCs and a HP laptop in my house, all of which have and can connect to the internet still (I'm on one right now). Do you know why my Powerbook won't connect to the internet? Do you think I messed something up during travel? I don't know if this is an internet problem, or an AirPort problem. Please, if you could, shed some light on my situation. Thanks.
    neye:

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Dec 25, 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    27
    Specs:
    12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
    I have a very similar problem which I was also seeking the answer to...

    Guess it is not too uncommon

  3. #3

    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonster
    I don't know if this is a mac problem, but I just figured it is. You'll see why. I got back from Texas and now I'm home in Connecticut. While I was in Texas, I used the wireless internet that my family had through the AirPort. When I got home, I was able to connect to my wireless internet for a couple days, but I woke up one moring and it won't connect to the internet. It says I have full signal, but I can't even get google to load. I have two PCs and a HP laptop in my house, all of which have and can connect to the internet still (I'm on one right now). Do you know why my Powerbook won't connect to the internet? Do you think I messed something up during travel? I don't know if this is an internet problem, or an AirPort problem. Please, if you could, shed some light on my situation. Thanks.
    neye:
    1. Make sure you're connected to your wireless AP, and not your next door neighbors or something.

    2. Open Network Utility, under the Info tab, make sure your wireless device is selected. Make sure it has an IP address that doesn't start with 169.

    3. In Network Utility, ping the router's address (usually either 10.0.1.1 or 192.168.1.1). If you get a response, then your wireless is working fine.

    4. Ping the address 64.233.167.99 (Google's IP). If this works, then you have a DNS issue.
    Roger Michaels
    Apple Certified Consultant

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Dec 25, 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    27
    Specs:
    12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris22x
    1. Make sure you're connected to your wireless AP, and not your next door neighbors or something.

    2. Open Network Utility, under the Info tab, make sure your wireless device is selected. Make sure it has an IP address that doesn't start with 169.

    3. In Network Utility, ping the router's address (usually either 10.0.1.1 or 192.168.1.1). If you get a response, then your wireless is working fine.

    4. Ping the address 64.233.167.99 (Google's IP). If this works, then you have a DNS issue.
    Osiris,

    Does this troubleshooting method only work for AirPort networks? I have no problem connecting to my AirPort at home, but when I am on campus (UT-Austin) my wireless hardly ever works. I am not too sure about the details of my campus network but I was hoping you might have some insight.

    It always displays a full signal, says I am connected, but it just won't load any pages most of the time (sometimes it works). Other computers around me are always running wireless fine.

  5. #5
    Jonster
    Guest
    How would I ping an address? Just type it into my web browser? If so, I've typed both of the IPs and they both timed out. My wireless must be working fine because I'm using it right now.

  6. #6

    lifeafter2am's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,395
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonster
    How would I ping an address? Just type it into my web browser? If so, I've typed both of the IPs and they both timed out. My wireless must be working fine because I'm using it right now.
    Open up the terminal and type this: ping -c4 google.com

    Substitute the google.com to whatever you want to ping.

    --lifeafter2am
    masakatsu agatsu

    @lifeafter2am

  7. #7
    Jonster
    Guest
    Okay, I did that and got response from both. Now how can I go about fixing my DNS issue?

  8. #8
    Jonster
    Guest
    BUMP! Can anybody help me? It's still not working.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 02:33 AM
  2. HELP!!! internet not working
    By c1688 in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2011, 02:12 PM
  3. internet is not working
    By roseusum in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 07:55 AM
  4. Internet not working
    By mtotho in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 12:49 PM
  5. Internet working, but AIM, ICHAT, ITUNES...(INTERNET RELATED PROGRAMS CANNOT LOG IN)
    By Justincredible in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 02:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •