New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Odd & colourful startup but worried.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Ok have my MacBook for quite a while now and all has been great.

Until today.

Started it up from cold and all I got on my screen was vertical lines of colour. The lines were very thin ie 1px wide but of all kinds of colours.
The lines wouldnt show at first but as it was left longer they start to appear gradually until very visable.

Any one know or have had this problem?

The only way I could get it to boot again properly was to use the PRAM clear on Boot( the alt+apple+R+P with power on )

I usually just sleep my machine but for some reason I switched it off before work for once. Then I get this.

Is this just a small glitch or could this be a more serious problem?

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
iank45

It sounds like a serious problem. It may have a bad lcd screen i would think. not too sure tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symondavis
Ok have my MacBook for quite a while now and all has been great.

Until today.

Started it up from cold and all I got on my screen was vertical lines of colour. The lines were very thin ie 1px wide but of all kinds of colours.
The lines wouldnt show at first but as it was left longer they start to appear gradually until very visable.

Any one know or have had this problem?

The only way I could get it to boot again properly was to use the PRAM clear on Boot( the alt+apple+R+P with power on )

I usually just sleep my machine but for some reason I switched it off before work for once. Then I get this.

Is this just a small glitch or could this be a more serious problem?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

There is an issue causing it on some MacBooks. I would take it to Apple ASAP.
QUOTE Thanks
CarlConti08

CarlConti08 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

no, dont call apple. i had the same problem and read on the forums that if u readjust your display to some other display ratio than your current one and restart it then switch back to the display u like it fixes the problem. why? i have no clue, i just kno that i havent had it happen to me since. good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

You can call AppleCare for confirmation, but this is a problem with 10.4.7 - doing what CarlConti08 said is the Apple-prescribed solution.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....018&tstart=100
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazabam
You can call AppleCare for confirmation, but this is a problem with 10.4.7 - doing what CarlConti08 said is the Apple-prescribed solution.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....018&tstart=100
Yep, this actually does the trick, as strange as it might sound...
I had that same issue on 4 different MacBooks, including mine, and since doing the procedure described in that link, no more colorfull lines at startup.
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Nice on people. This has stopped the lines for now. Hopefully forever, fingers crossed.

Thanks again
Sym

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
CarlConti08

CarlConti08 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

if it happens again, just remember this proccess. for me, it started when i randomly cleared the pram. maybe just avoiding clearing pram.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OCZ memory for my mac | Using a stylus »