Specs:
    Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
    Putting larger hard drive in Powerbook
    The 80GB hard drive in my Powerbook is getting a bit full. I'd like to replace it with a larger drive. I've seen guides on this site and elsewhere on how to physically remove the drive and replace it, so I'm not too worried about that part.

But I still have a few questions!

1) Is there any reason the Powerbook won't play ball with a standard ATA laptop drive such as a Seagate Momentus 160GB drive? What about UATA drives?

2) I plan to use Retrospect to duplicate my existing drive to a firewire drive, then boot from the firewire drive, and duplicate back to the new 160GB disk. Any problems anticipated with this?

3) If I duplicate using Retrospect and boot from firewire, everything seems to work as expected, apart from I seem to lose any custom icons. Any ideas why this is?

Thanks,
    David

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I don't think retrospect can make a bootable image. I believe you will need something like Carbon Copy Cloner.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
    Be very careful if you do the install yourself. Lots of tiny screws and fragile parts in there!

Specs:
    Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
    Gort, that turned out to be good advice. Being no stranger to pulling laptops apart, I thought it'd be straightforward, but in fact the Powerbook is a bit of a mare to get into. I very nearly broke the ribbon cable which connects the keyboard to the mobo. You also need a good set of fine tools (cross-head screwdriver and a tiny Torx driver). I'd caution against this as a do-it-yourself job for anybody less than 100% confident in their abilities.

Specs:
    Oh, incidentally, Retrospect 6 did a fine job of the duplication. I duplicated to my Firewire drive, replaced the internal drive then duplicated back again. The only thing I've had to sort manually is to delete the Spotlight database on the new internal drive to force it to recreate.

Thread Information