New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - first post: what would be the best practices for take care of battery of my macBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sugar

sugar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook White, 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter

:dummy: hi, i just got my new macbook 13" and i use from 5 to 10 hours per day... i just calibrated the battery according the macbook user-manual, but sincerily its my very first lap top.
what do you recommend me? because im not sure if its better to have it always plugged to a/c (even when its fully charged) or only plug it to a/c when battery needs to be charged... (it means many recharges per day)

thanks in advance

Aldo
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

This is only my experiences with other devices, but isn't a/c going to preserve the battery life?

Like, if you're near a power source and have the adapter, then why use the battery?
QUOTE Thanks
sugar

Mac Specs: MacBook White, 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter

and once i use it from battery should i use that way until battery goes low or can i plug to a/c even if battery its half charged? does it affect to the battery life?
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

Um.. I would drain the battery then plug it in, just for good measure.

Also, keeping it on the A/C does not effect the battery, Just drain it at least once a month.
QUOTE Thanks
itsdaydrmer

itsdaydrmer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2GHZ Intel Core Duo, 60GB HD, 2GB DDRAM

what u can do is this. you can pull out the battery and just use the ac when u have a wall jack, that way your laptop runs straight of the ac, and when u don't have a ac, just use the battery alone, and when the battery runs low, then use both the ac and the battery. there you go. now you combined 2 strategies into one. xD hope i helped.
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdaydrmer
what u can do is this. you can pull out the battery and just use the ac when u have a wall jack, that way your laptop runs straight of the ac, and when u don't have a ac, just use the battery alone, and when the battery runs low, then use both the ac and the battery. there you go. now you combined 2 strategies into one. xD hope i helped.
Just don't have anyone trip over the power cord. It may be magnetic and detach instantly, with no battery your laptop lost its only source of power. Remember: The laptop is smart enough to stop charging the battery once its full and just redirects it to the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
sugar

thanks to all!
great tips!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I thought with the new batteries you did not have to do that any more.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
sugar

guys, excuseme for crossposting, but could you please giveme a hand with this topic?
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=258275
(its mine and under macos x category)
QUOTE Thanks
transamman1999

why would you drain the battery completely once a month??? using that logic would be similar to saying you should also let your vehicle's battery die once a month???

correct me if im wrong but i thought that the life of laptop batteries depended on the number of times it has cycled between charging and being discharged???
so, in my mind, the more it cycles, and the more times it goes below 50%, the quicker it will lose its ability to hold a full charge.

my old Toshiba PC laptop battery only holds about 1-3 minutes of charge now that it is 3-3.5 yrs old and has been discharged and recahrged so many times. that's why i think that purposely discharging your entire battery is the stupidest thing you could possibly do to a new computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Aslain

Aslain is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook (White), 1GB RAM, 80GB HD | iPod Video 30GB| iPod Nano 1GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamman1999
i think that purposely discharging your entire battery is the stupidest thing you could possibly do to a new computer.
It's in the manual; it's the third step of calibration.
QUOTE Thanks
sugar

yes, i read the manual and im not sure if would be a good practice to calibrate the battery monthly...
once again: its bad to plug the a/c adaptor even if battery is not fully charged?
i asked that because sometimes i need to turn on the macbook without a/c lets say for about 30 minutes and i dont know if let it drain or to plug to a/c for recharge...
QUOTE Thanks
ripfrankwhite

ripfrankwhite will become famous soon enough

Depends on how often you use it.

"Repeat the calibration process every two months or so to keep your battery fully functioning. If you use you MacBook infrequently, it's best to recalibrate the battery at least once a month."

I rarely use mine, so I do it every month. But if you use it a lot, then just do it every few months.
QUOTE Thanks
sugar

i use it such 5~10 hours daily, and what do you recommend me when i use the battery power for 20-30 minutes, should i let it drain or can i plug it to a/c for continue using later?
QUOTE Thanks
transamman1999

whatever. i never plan on draining my battery completely. sounds utterly ridiculous to me. i dont understand how that can "re-calibrate" your battery.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help?! Ram Question. Is this brand ok?! Opinions please. | Internet not working? »