New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - High Temp Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

Hey everyone. Just got my macbook about a month ago. LOVE IT, works awsome. I finnally got rid of the PC's and now just have th Macbook and the Mac Mini. Anyways, finding alot of free software on the web and in random magazines, CoreDuo Temp is the latest. Runs in the menu bar next to the BT and Airport icons. It shows the % CPU used, the speed its currently running and the Temp of the computer. My Macbook is constantly running over 160degrees F. Anyone else constantly have a HOTT macbook. I mean i cant keep it on my lap sometimes cause it gets soo hott and i look at the temp and its over 100 degrees. Fan is running. Just wondering if anyone else gets this same problem.

www.macworld.com and search for Coreduo Temp

-Justin
QUOTE Thanks
Flash Fire

Nooo... I've never had it so hot that I can't have it on my lap. I have a MacBook too, with the 2.0GHz Core Duo. Not to mention, I also encode video and things like that, things that really stress the processor. I don't think I've had it over 160 degrees... but I have had the fan come on pretty fast.

What is the idle temperature of your processor? When I say idle, I mean having sat doing pretty much nothing for a few minutes (had enough time to cool off). Mine runs around 70 degrees Farenheit... running at 80% processor useage it seems to get up to about 85 degrees, running Folding AND encoding (the only way I can hit 100% processor useage) it runs around 125 degrees. Then again I ave my computer set on a desk and not my lap so, it probably runs a little cooler because of that.

Anyways, good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

I had a macbook and returned it. The fan was noisy and came on very quickly. My ibook G4 fan rarely came on, or I never heard it. I loved my ibook and was dissapointed with the macbook. Now I got a 20" imac. I love it just like my ibook. Hey flash fire I thought your name was referring to your macbook.... BAM FLASH FIRE!! lol Im glad you like yours.

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

Have you downloaded the newest firmware for the fans? After I did my running temp went from about 145-150 deg Farenhiet to about 125 or so.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...areupdate.html

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

As long as it works, don't worry about monitoring the temperature all the time.

Make sure you have extended warranty so in case it melts in the next 3 years, you'll get a new one
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by maz94protege
I mean i cant keep it on my lap sometimes cause it gets soo hott and i look at the temp and its over 100 degrees.
Well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Do not leave the bottom of the computer in contact with your lap
...that's why they are called notebooks and not laptops. :black:

Source - Apple Notebooks: Operating Temperature

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
CWMac

Ive yet to really notice the fan coming on much. Compared to most windoze lappys the macs are pretty quiet.

The new firmware seems to have cooled a lot of hot macs down but i think theres some that still have the old "three tablespoons" of thermal paste problem.

BTW the laptop / notebook thing is a little bit of a bum steer aint it If they were ment to be used on desks all the time theyd be called , well, desktops wouldnt they
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

I did the Firmware update. It does come on alot more. I dont have any problems with the performance either. Notebook/Laptop i always thought and called them the same thing... i guess you can call them portable too. but most macs are. anyways. The fan noise really isnt that bad, i was just wondering if anyone else had a Slightly WARM underside to their macbooks. I got the apple care so if anything does go wrong "sending it back". i might just get the iLap for it. so it stays up higher off my lap....hmm

Im still thinkin i need to run more ram, i only have the Dual 256chips stock in her. maybe thats making it run a little warmer.....then usual

I dont keep it plugged in either, i always run the batter down and then recharge it
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

160 seems rather high, i'd suggest you contact apple regarding that. the reason i say that is because my watercooled 9million fan powermac g5 runs at 178*F

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

yea i may just have to do that this weekend. but like when i wake it from sleep shes around 90degrees F. soo ill look into that... thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Wait until winter, it will make a great heater! :radioacti

Look into the Targus lapdesk, I have it for my ibook although it doesn't get really hot I use it all of the time and it is wonderful. It will keep your legs and "laptop" separated very well.
QUOTE Thanks
transamman1999

my 2GHz, 2MB BlackBook has never gotten too hot for my lap w/ shorts on. gets warm but tolerable.
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

it is tolerable. Just gets a little annoying when you pick it up and your legs all red and sweating and you dont realize it. But ill deff take it to apple store this weekend and see what they say about it.
QUOTE Thanks
CWMac

I just set my temp widget to show me F instead of celsius so i could be sure that my book was running cooler etc .

However after doing various things with the mb i found its runing at 56c or 133f which is the same ish as the OP. However i dont find this is too hot.For some reason this to me isnt hot to touch but just "a bit warm" as my daughter put it.

Also im struggling to hear if the fan is on but it must be cause it does cool down and remain stable temp wise.

Really if ya think these Mbs are hot try pc lappys, some of them will make toast for ya
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

oh i know completely about PC Lappys, i made eggs on mine one morn while goin to work. HAH. But i generally stay around 150, its 89degrees when i wake it then it goes up. But ill be taking it into APPLE tommorrow to get them to look at it

-J
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does your MBP feel "weird" while its being charged? | External Hard Drive or External dvd burner »