New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - RAM upgrade to 1GB - prices?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

callisto9

i am wanting to upgrade the RAM in my iBook from 512MB to 1GB. i read that there is only one slot for RAM, so i'd have to buy a 1GB chip, not an additional 512MB chip.

"The computers indicated by this note number use 1.25-inch PC2700 (also called DDR333) DDR SDRAM SO-DIMMs."

iBook G4 (Mid 2005)
512 Up to 1.5 GB 333 MHz (PC2700)

is the RAM for an apple machine different from RAM for a windows-based machine? i am guessing due to the prices i am seeing, it's not. can i buy PC2700 DDR333 RAM on ebay and have it work?

where's the cheapest place for RAM? i am seeing prices of $150 - $170 for a stick of RAM! gah! that's sooooo expensive.

help?
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

I purchased a gig of Ram for my iBook in March of 2005. It cost me $210 total. I would think paying around $150 is pretty decent. As long as it is So-dimm PC 2700 DDR RAM, you should be ok.
QUOTE Thanks
callisto9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenredfield
I purchased a gig of Ram for my iBook in March of 2005. It cost me $210 total. I would think paying around $150 is pretty decent. As long as it is So-dimm PC 2700 DDR RAM, you should be ok.
GAH! oh my! i didn't know it was going to be that expensive. maybe i'll stick with 512MB...
QUOTE Thanks
4thChild

4thChild is on a distinguished road

Did you see much performance improvements with the extra meg?
QUOTE Thanks
JDann24

JDann24 is on a distinguished road

yep, very expensive. i wanted to upgrade the ram in my ibook, but i can't afford it right now. but, from what i hear it is worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
CanadaRAM

CanadaRAM will become famous soon enough

I recommend Data Memory Systems - US$135 for 1 Gb Mac-tested and guaranteed. Also excellent people to deal with

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

(obligatory disclaimer - I derive no benefit financial or otherwise from recommending my favorite American RAM dealer)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost iBook | illuminated Keyboard on 12"PB? »