New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Buying a Macbook in 2 weeks have a few questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

prodikal

1. How much of a difference is there between, 512 and 1gb of ram on a mac.
2. If I should get more ram is it worth it to just get more ram when I buy it or after from a 3rd party.
3. Could anyone tell me how much free space is on the hard drive when you initially get it? (assuming I only got the 60gb hdd)
4. I need winXp to run DeltaV for work, should I run with Parallels or Bootcamp?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodikal
1. How much of a difference is there between, 512 and 1gb of ram on a mac.
2. If I should get more ram is it worth it to just get more ram when I buy it or after from a 3rd party.
3. Could anyone tell me how much free space is on the hard drive when you initially get it? (assuming I only got the 60gb hdd)
4. I need winXp to run DeltaV for work, should I run with Parallels or Bootcamp?

Thanks.
1. Depends on what Apps you plan on running.

2. 3rd party is a lot cheaper than buying from Apple.

3. 37-40 GB (only b/c I don't know how much Tiger takes up w/ apps) I think you can only use around 55GB of a 60GB hdd

4. Can't answer this one as I am not on Intel Mac.

*NOTE* I have 80gb hdd on my ibook and with nothing other than OS and preistalled apps I had about 65-68 gbs
QUOTE Thanks
Roo

Roo will become famous soon enough

For number 4, I would suggest using Bootcamp, unless you get 2 gigs of ram. Bootcamp runs natively, while parallels, though not slow, doesn't run as fast.

You could always use both though if you call up Windows and explain to them that you're loading Windows XP on the same computer. That's what I did, anyway.

QUOTE Thanks
transamman1999

definitly get 1 or 2 gigs of ram from a third party co.

my 512 just aint cuttin it. UPS.com says that my 2 gigs of ram is out for delivery as i type this so ill let you know how much of a difference it makes for me!
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo
For number 4, I would suggest using Bootcamp, unless you get 2 gigs of ram. Bootcamp runs natively, while parallels, though not slow, doesn't run as fast.

You could always use both though if you call up Windows and explain to them that you're loading Windows XP on the same computer. That's what I did, anyway.
Is it just to install bootcamp and parallels after each other and will XP be on the HD twice or how does that work? I think someone in an other post said it was not possible to do that.
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

It seems that most people who upgrade the memory on their macbooks experience a significant boost in performace, in some extreme cases I know some people have reported a 4x performance upgrade when going from 512 MB RAM to the maxed out 2GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
prodikal

Thanks for the replies! One last question, assuming I buy 3rd party ram:

1. Is there a list on this site of approved ram/sites to buy them?
2. Is it easy to do? (ive build too many desktops/servers to count, but this is my first mac)
3. If not, will the apple store install 3rd party ram? or tell me to get lost?

Thanks again in advance.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dude, I'm loosing the Dell. xD | To buy or not to buy? »