09-18-2006, 11:34 PM #1prodikalGuestBuying a Macbook in 2 weeks have a few questions.
1. How much of a difference is there between, 512 and 1gb of ram on a mac.
2. If I should get more ram is it worth it to just get more ram when I buy it or after from a 3rd party.
3. Could anyone tell me how much free space is on the hard drive when you initially get it? (assuming I only got the 60gb hdd)
4. I need winXp to run DeltaV for work, should I run with Parallels or Bootcamp?
09-18-2006, 11:45 PM #2sursucioflaGuestOriginally Posted by prodikal
2. 3rd party is a lot cheaper than buying from Apple.
3. 37-40 GB (only b/c I don't know how much Tiger takes up w/ apps) I think you can only use around 55GB of a 60GB hdd
4. Can't answer this one as I am not on Intel Mac.
*NOTE* I have 80gb hdd on my ibook and with nothing other than OS and preistalled apps I had about 65-68 gbs
09-19-2006, 01:24 AM #3
- Member Since
- Aug 07, 2006
For number 4, I would suggest using Bootcamp, unless you get 2 gigs of ram. Bootcamp runs natively, while parallels, though not slow, doesn't run as fast.
You could always use both though if you call up Windows and explain to them that you're loading Windows XP on the same computer. That's what I did, anyway.
09-19-2006, 10:44 AM #4transamman1999Guest
definitly get 1 or 2 gigs of ram from a third party co.
my 512 just aint cuttin it. UPS.com says that my 2 gigs of ram is out for delivery as i type this so ill let you know how much of a difference it makes for me!
09-19-2006, 10:50 AM #5
Originally Posted by Roo
- Member Since
- Sep 02, 2006
- London, England
- iMac Retina 5K 4GHz i7 24GB RAM MacBook Air 11-inch 1.6GHz 4GB RAM
09-19-2006, 04:13 PM #6
- Member Since
- Sep 12, 2006
- Twin Cities, MN
- Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
It seems that most people who upgrade the memory on their macbooks experience a significant boost in performace, in some extreme cases I know some people have reported a 4x performance upgrade when going from 512 MB RAM to the maxed out 2GB RAM
09-19-2006, 07:26 PM #7prodikalGuest
Thanks for the replies! One last question, assuming I buy 3rd party ram:
1. Is there a list on this site of approved ram/sites to buy them?
2. Is it easy to do? (ive build too many desktops/servers to count, but this is my first mac)
3. If not, will the apple store install 3rd party ram? or tell me to get lost?
Thanks again in advance.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Fusion21 in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 1Last Post: 11-28-2012, 03:07 AM
By turnstostone in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 5Last Post: 07-19-2012, 04:44 AM
By darkserith in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 2Last Post: 04-25-2010, 09:56 PM
By weizilla in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 1Last Post: 02-14-2008, 12:48 AM
By Stevonw in forum Schweb's LoungeReplies: 1Last Post: 08-10-2007, 10:05 PM