New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

aftermarket 7200RPM Drives?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EK03

Hey, im going to be buying a new 15" powerbook in a few days. I was thinking about getting that 5400 RPM 80 gig hard drive but i wanted to know if theres aftermarket 7200 rpm drives out for the powerbook. Also im switching from PC to mac, im a windows expert hardware and all so would it be complex to reinstall the OS on the new HD if there is one avalible? Never used OS X but have heard nothin but good things
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK03
Hey, im going to be buying a new 15" powerbook in a few days. I was thinking about getting that 5400 RPM 80 gig hard drive but i wanted to know if theres aftermarket 7200 rpm drives out for the powerbook. Also im switching from PC to mac, im a windows expert hardware and all so would it be complex to reinstall the OS on the new HD if there is one avalible? Never used OS X but have heard nothin but good things
If you are going to buy a new powerbook, i wouldnt think you would need a 7200 RPM drive. Apple machines are precision engineered, so their parts are designed to work together and perform great because of the optimization. 7200 RPM drives produce a lot of heat, thats why they are not used very often in laptops. I have a 4200 RPM HD in my powerbook and I dont notice a difference between it and my 10000 RPM SCSI drives at work in access time. Upgrading your hard drive by hand would also void your warranty, and mac replacement parts are very hard to come by.

OS X is amazingly easy to install, i believe nowadays with new machines it comes all on one DVD and its a lot less complicated than even the windows installer.
QUOTE Thanks
HeavyMetalG0d

if he needed to edit video, then a 7200 rpm hard drive is best.
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalG0d
if he needed to edit video, then a 7200 rpm hard drive is best.
but if you are doing lots of video editing, a powerbook probably isnt the best choice.
QUOTE Thanks
EK03

rhanks hokie, i do alot of video editing but i also have linked windows machines for render farms, ill go with the 5400
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with powerbook performance | Strange Error in PB Picture »