New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Just bought a gig of memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac747

mac747 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

I went to put it in the left hand slot. It is Centon brand from Compusa. They recommended it for the mac.

I closed everything back up and it won't power on. I put the old memory back in and it won't power on.

I read that if it isn't seated correctly it won't power on.

I seated and reseated the old memory with no luck.

Any ideas? Did I do something wrong? I do this stuff for a living (Sun Unix Engineer) so I made sure I was grounded and I didn't force anything, etc...

Ideas?

Thanks!

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
Techno Mutant

Techno Mutant is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 macbook

Well, is the battery set in correctly?
Sometimes we all miss the small things.

Btw- Cool job!

QUOTE Thanks
mac747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Mutant
Well, is the battery set in correctly?
Sometimes we all miss the small things.

Btw- Cool job!
Thanks! I called Apple and they want me to call back tomorrow. They think it might be a hardware problem with the slot because the lever wouldn't eject the memory and return back to normal position.

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac747
I went to put it in the left hand slot. It is Centon brand from Compusa. They recommended it for the mac.

I closed everything back up and it won't power on. I put the old memory back in and it won't power on.

I read that if it isn't seated correctly it won't power on.

I seated and reseated the old memory with no luck.

Any ideas? Did I do something wrong? I do this stuff for a living (Sun Unix Engineer) so I made sure I was grounded and I didn't force anything, etc...

Ideas?

Thanks!

Tim
In your other thread I notice you were advised not to buy the Centon ram as it was incompatible with your mac?

I'm a bit confused as to whether you went ahead and bought the Centon 512MB PC3200 200pin DDR SODIMM Memory Module after being advised that you needed DDR2 667mhz RAM for your MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8
In your other thread I notice you were advised not to buy the Centon ram as it was incompatible with your mac?

I'm a bit confused as to whether you went ahead and bought the Centon 512MB PC3200 200pin DDR SODIMM Memory Module after being advised that you needed DDR2 667mhz RAM for your MacBook.
What other thread are you referring to? Today I bought the Centon 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667mhz 200 pin memory.

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac747
What other thread are you referring to? Today I bought the Centon 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667mhz 200 pin memory.

Tim
I'm sorry mac747 but I just finished reading this thread when I read your post and mistakenly took them to be from the same person....it was the Centon name and the fact you both mention MacBooks that did it.....lol
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8
I'm sorry mac747 but I just finished reading this thread when I read your post and mistakenly took them to be from the same person....it was the Centon name and the fact you both mention MacBooks that did it.....lol
Oh. No problem...

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

did you make sure to keep yourself grounded in order to avoid static shocks which can fry electronics?
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Techno Mutant

Techno Mutant is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 macbook

Heh, I made the same conclusion although I read this topic first! (:

QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

Well, Tim, I hope you are able to figure out whatever is kepping your MacBook from powering on. Hopefully it is something simple and easy.
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

Yes, I was grounded. I do this stuff for a living so I knew to do that.

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

^You already stated that in your original post, people cant read...
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

Yeah, I did, didn't I!? Guess I can't read either! ha ha...
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Hope you figure it out. I think you should get replacement from where you purchased it since it seems like bad RAM. But maybe like you stated earlier it is hardware problem. Like I said good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon.
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

Quote:
Originally Posted by sursuciofla
Hope you figure it out. I think you should get replacement from where you purchased it since it seems like bad RAM. But maybe like you stated earlier it is hardware problem. Like I said good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon.
Apple is sending me a box to ship the computer back to them in. They said that since I'm past the 14 days (I'm on day 16), they can't replace it for a new one. They also told me my wife might lose all of the pictures she has on her hard drive, so I better go find a way to back it up. They ALSO told me that if I had bought the computer from an Apple Store and not from a reseller (American Musical Supply) I could have taken the computer into the Apple store for an exchange "maybe".

Where are all these rules when you are buying the computer? All I know is I went online, found a place that sells macbooks, and clicked add to cart and didn't see ANYTHING about any of the stuff they told me. Funny thing is, I bought MY macbook (broken one is wife's) Saturday night at the Apple Store and I asked the guy when I was checking out if there are any perks or anything that goes along with buying the macbook from the Apple store instead of online and he said "nope". I mentioned this to the service guy on the phone and he said "well it's not really a perk"....

Whatever...

Tim
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Changing macbook HD : pain in the wing dings | Mixing different RAM speeds, 333MHz and 533MHZ »