New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Powerbook G4 Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HvyJet

My P B has a problem since it slipped off the bed and landed on the corner where the battery lives.
The symptoms are:
On startup the the screen never appears until i either turn it off and on several times or remove the battery.

Locks up...working fine then all of sudden mouse stops and i have to shutdown and reboot.

occasionally i will see a multilanguage message saying i have to shutdown my computer.

i know dropping if off the bed was a bad thing but....any ideas.
next stop will be the apple store in dallas i guess.

one last thing

do any of you have a problem with while typing the cursor jumping to another spot in the document? i dont know if my palm is touching the trackpad or what....

thanks for your input
Barney
QUOTE Thanks
HvyJet

HEY Come on...
Somebody, Anybody! No ideas, hints, or similiar experience out there?
Thanks.
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HvyJet
My P B has a problem since it slipped off the bed and landed on the corner where the battery lives.
The symptoms are:
On startup the the screen never appears until i either turn it off and on several times or remove the battery.

Locks up...working fine then all of sudden mouse stops and i have to shutdown and reboot.

occasionally i will see a multilanguage message saying i have to shutdown my computer.

i know dropping if off the bed was a bad thing but....any ideas.
next stop will be the apple store in dallas i guess.

one last thing

do any of you have a problem with while typing the cursor jumping to another spot in the document? i dont know if my palm is touching the trackpad or what....

thanks for your input
Barney
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

As far as typing and having the cursor moving, that is your palm touching the trackpad. There is a setting under Mouse in System Preferences to turn that off. Something like Ignore trackpad clicks or something like that. Not on my book at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
CanadaRAM

CanadaRAM will become famous soon enough

Quote:
HEY Come on...
Somebody, Anybody! No ideas, hints, or similiar experience out there?
Thanks.
Barney
Pretty impossible do give anything but a W.A.G. at it...
You have a hardware problem -- maybe hard drive, maybe motherboard or connections (open the machine, remove your RAM and reinstall it again to make sure its not an intermittant RAM connection). Not video, and unlikely to be power (but still a remote possibility).
If it was running when it hit the floor, theres a reasonable chance of hard drive damage. If you can borrow a Firewire hard drive, install an OS on that, boot the machine from the external, and dismount the internal. Does it still crash on you?

What does Apple Hardware Test say when you boot from the OSX CD/DVD and follow the instructions?
Can you open Disk Utility and get a SMART status on the drive? Have you done a Repair Disk on the drive while booted from the OSX CD/DVD?

Do your homework first, then nag us about not responding....
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Ah yes, the 'dreaded' Kernel Panic.
Try looking here for steps on what to do next:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25392

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

I'm guessing you knocked a connector loose, or cracked the logic board, when it fell. The Apple store is probably your only hope...

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Monitor Resolution | Video Issue with 12inch IBOOK G4 »