Specs:
    2.4GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
    Will this HD work?
    Unibody 2.4GHz MacBook Pro - 4GB RAM - WD 320GB 7200 RPM HDD | 120GB Black iPod Classic

It is the correct specification, yes. SATA, 2.5"
    I prefer the Seagate Momentus series, but that's just me.
    Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

set0
    I'm using a Hitachi drive with the exact same specs (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145119); so I don't see why the Samsung wouldn't work. Go for it.

Flash Fire
    Do you think it would be worth while to upgrade my 80gb 5400 RPM drive that came with my MacBook to a 120gb 7200 RPM drive? I mean, is the upgrade in hard drive speed worth it, that's my question. OR, should I get a 5400 RPM perpindicular recording HD? I can't decide between the two.

Specs:
    MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
    I have a question about upgrading the hard drive in a MacBook. Will the installation discs apple includes with the computer be able to work on a new HD? How does this work with MacOSX being pre-installed? Thanks.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Pop in harddrive, pop in disc, hold down 'C' to boot from installation disc and reinstall OS.

set0
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Fire
    Do you think it would be worth while to upgrade my 80gb 5400 RPM drive that came with my MacBook to a 120gb 7200 RPM drive? I mean, is the upgrade in hard drive speed worth it, that's my question. OR, should I get a 5400 RPM perpindicular recording HD? I can't decide between the two.
    I was going to go with a 7200 RPM drive myself until I read this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=206695

Which states the 7200 RPM drives do not perform significantly faster. May not be worth the extra $$$. You should really form your own opinion, though.

Here's another site that says the same thing (with a Macbook Pro).

http://www.barefeats.com/5472.html

Flash Fire
    Well, that just made things much more difficult! Now I really can't choose between a 7200 RPM drive, or upgrading my current one to a larger drive. OR, I could just wait and get a MacBook Pro in a year (but I don't like their larger size... hmmm...)

See what I don't get is why in desktops they rarely, if ever, use 5400 RPM drives anymore. Now they use 7200 RPM drives, 7200 RPM RAID drives, even 10,000 RPM drives/RAID. So, theoretically, why would using a slower 5400 RPM drive in a notebook be BETTER? It just confuses me!

Then again my main concern isn't startup time... it's overall system performance. I would think that the 7200 RPM drive would outperform the 5400 in that... in theory there is no way it couldn't... and it also depends I would guess on the cache size of the disk itself. I don't know...

So, I'm going to try getting a 7200 RPM drive in a week or two, and I'll test it out and post the results letting everybody know what I think.

-SJ

Thread Information