New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Will this HD work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Justin5117

Justin5117 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Unibody MacBook Pro

For the MacBook? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152040

Unibody 2.4GHz MacBook Pro - 4GB RAM - WD 320GB 7200 RPM HDD | 120GB Black iPod Classic
QUOTE Thanks
CanadaRAM

CanadaRAM will become famous soon enough

It is the correct specification, yes. SATA, 2.5"
I prefer the Seagate Momentus series, but that's just me.
Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
QUOTE Thanks
set0

I'm using a Hitachi drive with the exact same specs (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145119); so I don't see why the Samsung wouldn't work. Go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Flash Fire

Do you think it would be worth while to upgrade my 80gb 5400 RPM drive that came with my MacBook to a 120gb 7200 RPM drive? I mean, is the upgrade in hard drive speed worth it, that's my question. OR, should I get a 5400 RPM perpindicular recording HD? I can't decide between the two.
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

I have a question about upgrading the hard drive in a MacBook. Will the installation discs apple includes with the computer be able to work on a new HD? How does this work with MacOSX being pre-installed? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Pop in harddrive, pop in disc, hold down 'C' to boot from installation disc and reinstall OS.
QUOTE Thanks
set0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Fire
Do you think it would be worth while to upgrade my 80gb 5400 RPM drive that came with my MacBook to a 120gb 7200 RPM drive? I mean, is the upgrade in hard drive speed worth it, that's my question. OR, should I get a 5400 RPM perpindicular recording HD? I can't decide between the two.
I was going to go with a 7200 RPM drive myself until I read this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=206695

Which states the 7200 RPM drives do not perform significantly faster. May not be worth the extra $$$. You should really form your own opinion, though.

Here's another site that says the same thing (with a Macbook Pro).

http://www.barefeats.com/5472.html
QUOTE Thanks
Flash Fire

Well, that just made things much more difficult! Now I really can't choose between a 7200 RPM drive, or upgrading my current one to a larger drive. OR, I could just wait and get a MacBook Pro in a year (but I don't like their larger size... hmmm...)

See what I don't get is why in desktops they rarely, if ever, use 5400 RPM drives anymore. Now they use 7200 RPM drives, 7200 RPM RAID drives, even 10,000 RPM drives/RAID. So, theoretically, why would using a slower 5400 RPM drive in a notebook be BETTER? It just confuses me!

Then again my main concern isn't startup time... it's overall system performance. I would think that the 7200 RPM drive would outperform the 5400 in that... in theory there is no way it couldn't... and it also depends I would guess on the cache size of the disk itself. I don't know...

So, I'm going to try getting a 7200 RPM drive in a week or two, and I'll test it out and post the results letting everybody know what I think.

-SJ
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Extended Desktop DVI to CRT? | Help with 2nd hand tiBook »