New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Core Duo --> Core 2 Duo

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Flash Fire

Alright, we all know that sooner or later Apple will upgrade their notebooks to the Core 2 Duo, probably sometime before the release of Leopard, right? But my question is this. I just purchased a MacBook (with the Core Duo obviously) because I needed it now, not later after they release the Core 2. When it is released, how possible would it be to upgrade to the Core 2? See, I don't even know if they use the same socket type! I know with my PC (shriek, I know) I can change processors all the way from the Athlon 64 to the Athlon X2 to the Athlon FX without problems. But I'm curious if I, or a Mac professional, could change the processor from the Core Duo to the Core 2.

Thanks for any advice! And since I'm new to this whole "Mac" thing, if you have any random advice/tips, I'm all ears!

-SJ

P.S. I do have a question; although I know it would be slow, would Final Cut Pro run on my MacBook? Even though the graphics ability isn't top of the line... would I be able to use it?
QUOTE Thanks
wakerider017

wakerider017 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Fire
Alright, we all know that sooner or later Apple will upgrade their notebooks to the Core 2 Duo, probably sometime before the release of Leopard, right? But my question is this. I just purchased a MacBook (with the Core Duo obviously) because I needed it now, not later after they release the Core 2. When it is released, how possible would it be to upgrade to the Core 2? See, I don't even know if they use the same socket type! I know with my PC (shriek, I know) I can change processors all the way from the Athlon 64 to the Athlon X2 to the Athlon FX without problems. But I'm curious if I, or a Mac professional, could change the processor from the Core Duo to the Core 2.

Thanks for any advice! And since I'm new to this whole "Mac" thing, if you have any random advice/tips, I'm all ears!

-SJ

P.S. I do have a question; although I know it would be slow, would Final Cut Pro run on my MacBook? Even though the graphics ability isn't top of the line... would I be able to use it?

Both chips have the same socket and can be run on the same mainboard....

BUT, (and it is a big but) The Macbook's chips are soddered to the mainboard...

Meaning, basicly the mainboard and CPU are 1 unit. neye:

Edit: Now I would like to know if you could have your whole mainboard swapped out? That would be cool (but probably expensive)

Also, I am holding out for Merom (Core 2 duo mobile chips) some better video, and Leopard. Hopefully my wish will come true early next spring or later winter!!! :black:

24" iMac
QUOTE Thanks
chaky31

chaky31 is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry for reviving this long dead thread.

Now that we have moved past core 2 duo and are on to i5 and i7 I'm sure there is plenty of evidence for this question. If I know how to sauder well, then it is possible to switch the intel core duo processor with a intel core 2 duo processor correct? Has anyone experienced any problems who has done that?

Also, what are the benefits? Is the Intel core 2 duo that much better?

Thanks everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Besides reviving an ancient thread, do you realize how difficult it would be to unsolder or remove a CPU from the logic board? Components are surface mounted - not just soldered to traces. It would be easier to swap out the logic board if you could find one cheap enough and then make it work.
QUOTE Thanks
jeanielynn

jeanielynn is on a distinguished road

what is the difference between i5 core and i7 core?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« If you forget to do this , you will _______? | Troubleshooting a dropped macbook (ugh) »