New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MacBook Pro Upgrades

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

Hi All. It's been awhile since I've posted here. Well now I'm back!

Anyway, I currently have a 20" iMac G5 (1st Gen) and a 12" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ. I'm looking to sell both units in favor of a new MacBook Pro (Higher End 15") and a 23" Cinema Display. My dad is going to put forth about $2,000 for the MBP, and I'll use the money made from the sale of the other machines for the upgrades and Cinema.

Any idea what will be the next big upgrade for the MacBook Pros? I have a year until college as of yet so I have plenty of time, and these machines are still working great! Is it feasible to put the Core 2 Duos in a laptop? Someone told me that the power consumption of those chips is too high.

What are my options here? What is the next year of chips looking like?

It's great to be back!

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I can almost guarantee that the MacBook Pro's will have the Core2Duo in them before you go to cllege (I can't guarantee it because I dont work at apple so have no say in it) but the Merom chip (which they put in the iMacs) is actually a notebook processor with very low power consumption and runs very cool.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

That's great news. Thanks for the info. As soon as apple puts the core 2's in the MacBook Pros, I'll hop on one. Hopefully it won't be too long now (but I'm just anxious!).

But it makes me wonder. If the chip is avalilable now, why are they waiting?

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlee12
That's great news. Thanks for the info. As soon as apple puts the core 2's in the MacBook Pros, I'll hop on one. Hopefully it won't be too long now (but I'm just anxious!).

But it makes me wonder. If the chip is avalilable now, why are they waiting?
Supply issues are one things I have seen mentioned, but they might just be waiting till thanksgiving to get the christmas crowd

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

So, if the iMac got the Merom in September, would one be safe to assume that MBP will get it by the end of the year?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would say no, if Apple were to change the processor every time a new one comes out. It would hurt there sells, the previous system would be come obsolete more quickly.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I would wait for the newer processors to come out and go through a couple of months for them to get all the bugs worked out, so by that time your buying a model with not that many problems at all, especially if the machines you have now are perfectly fine. That and your dad is still willing to help you out that far down the road :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
iluvthsgam

yeah i want a new MBP really bad - i need to upgrade from my powerbook but i really would love those new 64 bit merom chips to go into the MBP. i think its only a matter of time before they put them in there...they have to...especially since leopard is fully 64 bit now..
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam
yeah i want a new MBP really bad - i need to upgrade from my powerbook but i really would love those new 64 bit merom chips to go into the MBP. i think its only a matter of time before they put them in there...they have to...especially since leopard is fully 64 bit now..
How much would you sell PB for?
QUOTE Thanks
iluvthsgam

well i paid $2300+ for it, plus I have AppleCare on it as well which was another 350. I would want enough to cover as much as i could for a new MBP + AppleCare, make me an offer....
QUOTE Thanks
iluvthsgam

well apparently appleinsider is saying that yes the core 2 duo chips are ready to go apple is just holding off to ship them. MAN I CANT WAIT! they said anytime from now till november..they think.haha
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Whoa Whoa Whoa, Hold your Orders. ! C2D Chips out Soon ! | Deleting cookies? »