New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - superdrive or no superdrive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

n0s0up

n0s0up is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook w/ SuperDrive

I'm thinking about buying a MacBook (i've always used PCs in the past and I think it's time for a change), and trying to decide which model to get.

I see that the main benefit of the $1,299 model over the $1,099 one is the previous comes with a SuperDrive.

Since I'll be doing most DVD burning at home, and don't necessarily need this built-in, is there any benefit to getting the model with the superdrive, as opposed to getting the model without it, and then buying something like this Sony DRX820UL/T Macintosh Compatible External USB 2.0 DVD+R Double Layer?

I was thinking that this might be better than the superdrive, since it's double layer, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any pros or cons about this...

Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
superdude

I don't think the superdrive for the Macbook is dual layer.
At least it doesn't say so on the technical spec on apple website.

If you're just burning at home, I would just get a pioneer internal drive and hook it up to a nice external enclosure and save yourself some money.

I currently have this kind of setup and it works just fine. Case I bought had both usb/firewire connections.
QUOTE Thanks
n0s0up

n0s0up is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook w/ SuperDrive

Yeah, it sounds like that may be the way to go.
What Pioneer drive are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
superdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0s0up
Yeah, it sounds like that may be the way to go.
What Pioneer drive are you using?
Any recent ones are fine.
But the one I'm using is 110D.
It's less than $50 CDN and add on top of that a quality enclosure like Vantec $50 CDN and you're set to go.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which HD is better? | Windows User looking to make the switch, got some newbie Qs! »