New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Weird Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wick98

wick98 is on a distinguished road

I'm new here, and I wanted to ask a question pertaining to the MacBook Pro that I'm renting from my college (and eventually buying from them.)

Here goes...

I've had the machine for about 5 days now. I've taken perfect care of it, and I haven't been downloading a lot of things, or anything. The only possibly problematic thing that has occurred was that the power went off and then came back on, within about 10 seconds, while I was using the Mac (plugged into an outlet, using wireless internet through a router.) It ended up just resorting to battery power, so I doubt that did anything to it.That was about 48 hours ago, and I hadn't used this thing until now.

When I first started it up and signed on, everything was fine. It loaded quickly, and I changed some of my widgets around and signed onto my wireless network. Netscape worked fine, and so did iChat. However, when I attempted to load MSN, Photobooth and Disk Utilities, they wouldn't work. MSN was the only one that didn't bounce.

I decided that the best thing to do would be to log out and restart the system, which is what I did. I didn't have any problems doing that and since I've restarted it, everything has been fine.

Was that just a fluke coincidence, or what could it have been? It's really worrying me. I'm trying to keep this thing in perfect working order, especially since I plan to buy it from my school. Plus, I've got bad OCD.
QUOTE Thanks
wick98

Someone on another forum said to repair the disk permissions, so I did. Think that will help?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Did you launch MSN and the other 2 from the Dock?

Just thought that if you did and they bounce, then navigate to your applications folder.
In Finder go to the menu and click on Go, then click on Applications and in the window that opens find the apps you need and double-click on them in turn to see if they launch.

Repairing Disk Permissions is always a good thing, it won't do any harm to repair them.....
QUOTE Thanks
wick98

I tried to launch those programs from the dock, so that's why they bounced. Once I noticed that Photo Booth wasn't going to open, I tried to open it through the Applications folder, and it still didn't work.

I'm pretty sure that the problem was caused by MSN screwing up, because I got an error message about it, and it's been problematic all night. I've had a lot of problems sending messages and such.
QUOTE Thanks
thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

As MSN Messenger is pretty poor on the Mac, I use Fire instead, which also lets you connect to other IM networks at the same time. It doesn't do all the fancy multimedia things that Live Messenger now does, but if you want to talk to people, it's fine.
QUOTE Thanks
ShillAT

ShillAT has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!

try adium. It does MSN, AIM etc.

"You can play your electric guitar but it ain’t gonna change the world
You can get all emotional on me and cry like a little girl"
-Electric Six- Rock 'n Roll Evacuation- Señor Smoke
QUOTE Thanks
nickster9224

nickster9224 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black "ULTIMATE" 1GB RAM 80GBHDD 2.0GHZ Processor

i ve heard msn screws up other apps on mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dreaded BLUE SCREEN... | MacBook is fast!! »