New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - What's Better Macbook or Ibook???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Devikman

reason im asking is someone at my school said Ibook G4 was better than the new macbook. I kinda find that a little hard to beleive considering macbook is newer and has an Intel chip in it.
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

that's not very accurate. Obviously the newer laptops have more processing power and the newer features Apple has included (like the magnetic power supply plug, etc). Some powerpc computers might run certain applications better that haven't been made Universal yet but I wouldn't say the iBooks are better.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Whichever is better is a matter of personal opinion and use. It all really depends on what you intend to use your computer for. Your friend may rely more on applications that aren't yet Universal, which would make the G4 a better choice for them.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

DB hit the nail on the head. I will add this, if you run all older Non Universal PPC Applications like Adobe, Microsoft or Macromedia, then the older PPC iBooks would be faster, but on everything else the Intel Macs are quite a bit faster.
QUOTE Thanks
nickster9224

nickster9224 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black "ULTIMATE" 1GB RAM 80GBHDD 2.0GHZ Processor

i find with 1gb of ram everything is fast.
QUOTE Thanks
superdude

erm.
I had the ibook G4 and it ran as slow as snail mail.
I had 1.5 GB of RAM on it.

Sorry folks it's no comparison to a macbook.
And I only use it to surf.

You can't even play 480P content on it.
I was quite upset when I switched from a PC notebook to my first apple notebook which was the G4 Ibook.

But since having sold it off and getting my new Macbook, I'm pretty happy with it.
QUOTE Thanks
brendan67

brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.26 4GBRAM iPhone6

we have both in our home and the posts prior on this thread
make valid points. i would have to say though in terms of pure speed,
there is very little in it.

off course as you would expect with the latest model, the macbook is faster,
but the ibook is universal therefore it scores higher, so its very much
dependant on what you are doing with the machines.

it is more a personal preference, a discounted ibook would still be a great
buy, though apple promote the latest model heavily, and exaggerate its superiority, to their older models. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
fernando87

Regardless of which is better, I can't allow anyone to diss the performance of the iBook G4.

I have the last model, the 1.42Ghz one, with 1GB of RAM and I have absolutely no complains. In one year of use, there have been zero problems with it. I always have open Firefox, Mail, iTunes, Adium and several widgets; and use on a daily basis Dreamweaver, Photoshop, iPhoto with 6k photos, plus who knows how many other programs, and it has NEVER crashed on me or given me anything other than sucessful results. I even created a 144x72 inch logo on photoshop with lots of text being rendered, filters used and blending options and it had no problem with it. I am extremely happy with my pruchase, I guess Apple worked out all the quirks in their last iBook release.

Granted, the Powerbook and recent Macbook/Pros have a faster processor, but again, the iBook is a solid notebook and should not be given such a hard time. I'm going to buy an additional battery and going to wear out this baby until AppleCare runs out.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You must have the 14" Ibook. I have the last 12" with the 1.33Ghz and I love it.

It's fine for what I use a Laptop (Notebook) for.
QUOTE Thanks
Aslain

Aslain is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook (White), 1GB RAM, 80GB HD | iPod Video 30GB| iPod Nano 1GB

I think people exaggerate the 'slow speed' of apps run through Rosetta. I have 1GB RAM on my MacBook, and Word, while a tad slower than Universal apps, is far from bothersome. Instead of a second and a half (opening Camino), it takes two more seconds or so. I don't even think I'd even notice the difference if people didn't blather on about it.

Besides, universality is a pretty **** temporary problem.
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

Hey guys running office mac on a macbook does it as quick as my 1.42 ghz ibook. So some non-uninversal appps run real fast. Office doesnt need much proc. power. So the macbook wont seem slow!

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
precisionelite

precisionelite is on a distinguished road

Can you explain to me what is meant by universal? What is rosetta?
I have a 1.83 Ghz Macbook w/1 gig of ram and it rocks!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionelite
Can you explain to me what is meant by universal? What is rosetta?
I have a 1.83 Ghz Macbook w/1 gig of ram and it rocks!
http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Sheafraidh

Sheafraidh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devikman
reason im asking is someone at my school said Ibook G4 was better than the new macbook. I kinda find that a little hard to beleive considering macbook is newer and has an Intel chip in it.
I wouldn't consider a MacBook for at least 12 months. I have one and want my iBook back. The MacBook is slow doing most things , not just when it has to run Rosetta. Most of the apps I use require Rosetta and it can take 10 secs to open an MS Word doc.
I did some benchmark tests as follows . opening applications from cold
iBOOK 800mhz MacBook
MacMail 3 5
Safari 5 3
iTunes 5 2/3
iPhoto 10 6
Word 5 9
Filemaker Pro 7 4 20
Keynote 8 18
So, not worth the expense. Also there are numerous serious hardware issues with the MacBook judging by other fora. Not Apple's best by a long way !! Sorry this doesn't format well in the preview - the figures are in seconds n the left is the iBook figure; the figure on the right is for the MacBook
QUOTE Thanks
Sheafraidh

Sheafraidh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster9224
i find with 1gb of ram everything is fast.
So that makes the MacBook a very expensive little item. Should it really need that much RAM to hold a candle to the iBook ? Don't think so !
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question on buying | macbook battery »