Thread: CS2 scratchdisk

CS2 scratchdisk
    I'm considering a 15" macbookpro - to purchase later this fall.

is it possible to use one of those usb pocket external hard drives in the usb port to perform the fuction of a photoshop CS2 scratch disk? can one of those be formated in apple? does it have to be?

on the other hand i understand i could run dual OS's on this laptop... apple OSX tiger and/or windows XPpro

never owned an apple...

ahhh... the angst!

thanks for any help.

tws

Specs:
    MacBook
    Technically, you could do that. It would be much more effective however, to just up the RAM in your system.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/320005.html

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
    you can run both osx and windows....you have a couple options there. You can use Apple's bootcamp, which is free. It works great, but you have to reboot the computer everytime you want to switch operating systems. The other option is parallels desktop. It costs 80 bucks, but is worth every penny in my opinion. You can run windows right in OSX.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Another thing to consider is, do you really need a Mac?
    You seem to have made it this far without one, and if what you currently have is working for you, then I see no reason to get a new computer.
    What exactly led you to contemplate getting a Mac? If you could give a little more information, we might be able to help you out a little better and answer your questions more effectively.

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thanks everyone! great feedback.

regretfully this winter i will be away from my trusty desktop computer an Asus P4 with two hard drives so the scracth disk is not an issue...

my sister gifted me CS2 and since i'm going to be working in the remote regions of northern nevada i decided to go apple for the first time..

i do a lot of graphics (80 percent of my computer time) so i thought with apples reputation for being the best as far as graphics go i'd try one out... moreover, i'd like to have some of the features that are unique to apple only - like the video stuff which i'd like to try, quicktime etc...

i have no room for a desktop system... hence a laptop, the macbookpro.

i had a look at the link you sent D3v1L80Y

the only problem, as i understand it the 15" macbookpro is NOT a 64 bit system and i do not think i can get 4 gigs of ram on board - much less afford it! therefore i don't know if the virtual ram drive would be sufficent on the macbookpro.

the book can mount up to 120 gig HD... even a 100 gig should be enough to run both OS's if i choose and have plenty for graphics work, tho i reckon i'd like to get an external drive to dump the eventual over burden.

finally, i do need wireless - i know it can be had with pc laptops - however i've read some good things about airport... my only access will be when i visit town on my days off... when i hope to find some hotspots. T-mobile "day pass" would be perfect but it hasn't arrived in winnemucca yet... the other option is a cable hook up at the truck stop i think one is available...

thanks again for your fast response and excellent forum.

cheers!

tws

Thread Information